Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2010 printing 1:1 scale at 100% of 11x17 paper is not right 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliensquale

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2008
US
I have Solidworks 2010, I am printing on 11x17 paper, my sheet and model scales are at 1:1. I choose in page setup to scale 100%. I print the page out, then take my caliper and measure the actual printout to see if the scale is right on to the measurements called out on the drawing... what I'm finding is that the printout is actually slightly larger than 1:1 scale? For instance I have a part that is 5.5" long, and the drawing dimension shows 5.5". When I print it out on 11x17 paper at a 1:1 scale then I use my caliper to measure the actual printout.. my caliper is reading about 5.6". So the scale is not printing correctly... the same holds true for when I save the drawing as a PDF and print the PDF out as well.. same scale issues..

does anybody know why this is?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know that my laser printer has a setup routine where you printout a box measure the box and input the measurement to calibrate the printer. See if you printer has this. I also use a plotter (inkjet pringing on a paper roll type)where I've printed parts that were 96" long and measureed them with a 96" scale and they were within .010". Darn spot on if you ask me. Make sure you are printing 100" and not fit to page. Also if you can figure out the % difference you can just print 98.2% of size or whatever and get closer. I use accuratly scaled prints all the time for laying out flat patterns on sheet metal or checking a fabricated part.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Most office printers have replaceable feeder rolls. When they wear out they don't feed consistently. Try changing those and see if your scale matches closer.

ymmv, Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back