Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SolidWorks 2012 Measure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabiz7

Automotive
Nov 30, 2012
US
New user, alright this seems wacky.... I create an offset plane 20" (508mm) from a flange. I use the measure command to verify this, measures out at 508mm.
I mirror the flange about this plane. I should have two flanges 40" (1016mm ) apart. I use the measure command and it says items are parallel, 1016.01mm.
How is that ???

I imported another flange part, oriented it the way I want, then linear translate 7" (177.8mm). Check the axis to flange distance with measure command, it says items are parallel, but distance is 177.87mm !!!!

Why is the measure disatmce not agreeing with the distance I type in to move my parts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try using the same units between the set and measure actions. 1016.01mm is 40.00027" while 1016mm = 39.99988". Part of what you are seeing is due to display roundoff and assumptions based on truncated conversions we commonly use rather than the more precise conversions used by SWX.

In your first example the two flanges should be 40" apart. Try setting the units for your measure tool to inches or at least to dual units. I think you will find they actually are 40" apart.

If you want the result in inches, then use inches, not some close metric approximation. Verify with a measurement set to the same units.

- - -Updraft

My model is in mm, I am doing everything in metric, I measure in metric, the metric measurement is not correct. i don't understand what units you want me to change?

If everything is in metric then don't report imperial units. From your original post you stated you offset the plane 20" (508mm). Did you offset the plane 20" or did you offset the plane 508mm? Though close, they are not the same.

The other thing you should look at is the entities you selected for creating the plane. A face is much cleaner for selecting to offset the plane, rather than a point.

For ease of helping you, how about posting your file. The problem is probably very simple if we can get a better look at your work.

- - -Updraft

The problem is not the units (20" and 508mm are the same), and it's probably not the 2012 Measure tool either.

Pre-SW13 versions used the Centre of Mass when mirroring a part. This often resulted in unexpected results.
SW13 and later versions use the bounding box in place of the CoM when mirroring. Why they couldn't simply use the origin &/or reference planes (per the normal design intent) is a mystery to me.

Did you make sure that when you made the flange you did not have it off a little? Try taking the Dimension from the center to the flange out 8 places as well as when you measure it. That's the first thing I would do to make sure there is nothing slightly off.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I agree it's probably the mirror command, or perhaps the way the flange was modeled, maybe it's not exactly on the center.
For the people commenting on units: there are exactly 25.4 millimeters in 1 inch. 20" is exactly 508mm. There's no rounding there. If you're using the inverse of 25.4mm to do your conversion, you're using a rounded off number (such as .03937, which for some reason people seem to prefer even though it's not exact...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back