Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2013 and compatible Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

sams

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2000
US
Hello,
Does anyone know if Solidworks 2013 will work with
1) HP Envy Laptop i7 processor and NVIDEA GeForce GT 740M 12GB DDR3 SDRAM w/ Windows 8.1 Pro
2) HP Envy Laptop i7 quad core processor 16GB SDRAM w/ Windows 8.1 Pro
Thanks, I appreciate your help,
Sam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Mr. CorBlimeyLimey (Mechanical),
I forgot to mention about the graphics card on my second Laptop which is Intel HD Graphics 4600.
Would this work for medium use Solidworks modeling and drawing? Thanks for your help.
I read one of the past threads which suggest to connect to Solidworks.com website to find
the compatibilty of graphics cards.
Thank you and Thanks to Eng-Tips.com for help.
Sam

I have run Solidworks 2006-2008 on personal computers non-workstation laptops. These did not have approved graphics cards. In my experience the program is pretty stable with a non-workstation graphics card. I noticed when I rotated complex parts or assemblies sometimes they would look like blocks or rectangles but then go back to the correct geometry when the rotation was complete. When I used the non-workstation laptops I was only doing a small amount or work at home outside of the office. I would not want to use a non-approved system for a full time position. I think it is ok for tooling around and doing work at home 5-6 times a month. If you really going to be doing that much work at home though you ask for a laptop from the company. I have been working on a workstation laptop for the last 5 years with out a problem. I even run flow simulations on the laptop workstations. I have used Dell (2008-2010) and Lenovo (2010-present).

Thank you GRF (Automotive) for your advice and sharing your experience
under similar situation I am going through.
Also thanks to CorBlimeyLimey, and the Eng-Tips Forum
Sams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back