Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solidworks always opening read only files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstones

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2010
US
Hi all, new to the forum as of today. seems to have many useful tools.

Anyway, I've been having this problem for a few weeks now and I'm really not sure how it started. But every time I try to open a SW file by double clicking the icon, it ALWAYS prompts me if I want to open a 'Read-only' file. However, if I 'right click' then say 'open' it will open fine with write access. It also works fine if i 'drag and drop'...this is bugging the crap out of me. Any ideas of what's going on?

Brandon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this only happening when you're opening a file from Windows Explorer? If so, what happens if you open a word file in the same manner? I'm wondering if it's a windows permissions thing...

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your flux capacitor is shot....

That's an odd issue you're having. Have you talked to your VAR?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

When I try the tilde search, it seems as though its all tool box library parts on my c:/. I don't really think I want to remove these files. I did not see any that were prefixed with the tilde. (My understanding is that when this appears, the file is currently open by you/another user). I have disabled the multi user environment, restarted SW, but no luck.

As for the VAR, the decision recently was made not to renew our tech support from the provider. Hence the reason I joined this forum!

But thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll try anything, this is driving me crazy!!!

Mr Stones The tilde appears when you open said part and dissapears when you close part. I should be a duplicate of the actual part, probably a marker. If you crash or for some reason the parts/drawings are shut down not the correct way, these tilde parts will hang out untill you use them again and close correctly. So deleting them should not put a monkey wrench in anything. Also as JM sezs, the flux capacator may not be charging correctly.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back