Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks & COSMOS 2007 SP0 have been released 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Standing

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2002
Quote from SolidWorks web site:
SolidWorks and COSMOS 2007 SP0 have now been released. All products in all supported languages, for both 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems, are now available for subscription customers to download from the following area of the SolidWorks web site:

Release shipments, including CD/DVD media, will commence in August.

Bradley

Thanks for the heads up... we wait for SP1.0 before using it for production so it might be another 5 weeks before we can use it.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

I'm not ready for 2007.....it's not even September [bugeyed] I guess now I will start getting Christmas catalogs in the mail. [banghead]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Thanks Bradley.
For some reason it's not loading the page for me. It is slow then I get a blank page. Anyone else having the same problem?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

No it's working here, but I don't like the new install manager yet, but it's a good idea for the user that can't figure out how to surf a webpage and find what he needs to DL.

Probably alot of people downloading it and the page is taking to long so IE sees that it's not loading.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Thanks for the Star.
I am with the rest of you. We will not run production work on SolidWorks 2007 until it is at SP 1.0.

Bradley

If you use max and brazil you wont be happy with photoworks 2.

Its not even close. Speed of render, options of lighting, mapping, materials, caustics, GI, every aspect, pales in comparason.

If speed is your goal, stay with max and look into Vray, I always found it faster than brazil, although brazil has a certain look to it that I always liked, when it was done correctly. Brazil always seemed harder than vray to get the lighting just right.

Just having photoworks 2 turned on as an add-in slows large assemblies that have textures it seems. Never did solve that problem. We had to have our designers turn off photoworks till the very end of modeling before turning on in order to not bring the system to a crawl.

-------------

Randy

I downloaded and installed it yesterday, this time using the new install manager and I must say they did listen to the beta testers! It works great now, letting you decide where to store the downloaded zip files and keeping them after the installation. I was a fan of the manual downloads during the beta period, but from now on I will use the new installation manager.

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer/AI student

64-bit is not going to be faster, the only benefit to 64-bit systems is that it does not have a memory limitation. You can have as much RAM as you can afford, but if your assemblies are not big and you are not running out of it now, whats the point.

Save your money and get a top of the line CPU and video card, since those are usaully the limitations to most systems.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Is the Pope Catholic?
Does a bear S*#t in the woods?
Does a triangle have three sides?
Is a frogs a** water tight?

Scott is right about the 64 bit systems. We have 4 persons here out of 11 running 64 bit and what trouble it is. 1st we had to get our 32 bit visual basic programs to run on 64 bit platforms. 2nd I have to keep 2 separate service packs. 3rd it is no faster than the 32 bit systems, because we all have 2 gig of memory.

Bradley

Where is 2006 SP5?!!!!!

They released 2007 SP0 before fixing all of the problems with 2006... typical.

We will upgrade around SP2 or 3 when it is somewhat stable.

-Jeff
SW2006 SP4.1

The install manager works well now.....at least at home. A company firewall may throw a kink in it. Basically you just check what you want to install and it downloads the files and starts installing each. Supposedly when SPs come out...you run the install manager and it will download and install the SP with no need for the user to do anything except wait.

Not as slick as how Alibre handles it but a step in the right direction. The only thing left to make it better in my opinion is to ask you upfront where you want to install Solidworks and add-ins and set the settings, then handle the rest of the installtion hands-off. As it is now....you still go through the same installation dialogues one at a time which happens to be a little different for each program (Swx, DwgEditor, eDrawing, PDM/works, etc.).

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

How many of you actually tested SW2007 for stability?

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer/AI student

The download manager wouldn't let me in for Beta and it won't let me in now. I have 2004, 2005, 2006 on my computer. My VAR, back in 04 when we upgraded from 01, gave me a new serial. This one didn't work, and has never worked, so they told me to use the old one I had for 01 during installation, which worked fine and generated a Reg code for 04 05 and 06, and they said to use the other one to access support. This was never a problem until now, so the download manager looks in my registry for my serial number and sees that it doesn't match my support number. I would have to uninstall all three, but then they would have to figure out why the serial they gave me in the first place never worked for the others, this would take all day to uninstall and reinstall. I ended up using the manual download which I like anyway.

I did beta. It seems like they did a lot of stuff for premium, but I see the least amount of change in the core stuff. The only new feature is free form on 4 sided surfaces. The gui's a little different. I crashed it a bunch using scanto3d and routing. It seemed fairly stable in most core functionality, but who knows what oddities will pop up.

Overall, I have to say I'm not really that excited about this release, seeing as I don't have premium. Plus, most of the places in china that we work with, who use my SW files and not just my solids won't be on 07 for a while, so I can't use it anyway.

RFUS

Most stuff is added to the core...Premium just added "Scan to 3d".....and whatever enhancements that were made to Routing, Cosmosworks, CosmosMotion. You can purchase them separately so I wouldn't call it a "Swx Premium" enhancement with the exception of Scan to 3d which is only available in the "Premium" version.

All the other stuff is in the core.
New spline enhancements
Belt/chain assy feature and sketch feature
Isolate
Save Document Notification
New Gui for sutomizing keyboard shortcuts
Pack N Go
Solidworks Explorer rewritten
Screen capture
Full screen mode toggle and hide feature tree toggle
Equal Relations in 3d sketches
Realign sketches
Fully define a sketch
SketchXpert and MateXpert to resolve over-defining issues
Selection Manager for Lofts, sweeps, and boundary surfaces
Boundary surface
Freeform edit
Hole Series enhancements
Rack and Pinion mates
Break drawing view in both directions
Relative View works with cyclindrical bodies now
Custom Properties in balloons
Drawing Block enhanced
Different ways to display fraction dimensions
Multiple radius dimension leaders
Dimensions linked to notes bring symbols and tolerances with them.
Curved sheetmetal flanges

Jason

The install manager is great for those that can't find the website and get the Downloads... as for installing it I LOVE the way it installed the Admin image... There was no work involved I just pointed to the location and away it went! Installation went very smooth and I have been working on a drawing most of the day of a 20 part assembly. Detailing each component and main assembly... I have not crashed one time yet. So far the stablity is there. I have seen some graphical issues, which usually comes with the tertitory, but nothing to cause me ot crash

My overall opinion is like "Tony the Tiger"... [red]It's Grrrreat!![/red]

Even if most of you don't use it for production which is the smart thing to do. You should still fully test it with copies of your files just to see how it works with your products. YOu might find a serious bug in SP0 and if it doesn't get fixed in SP1.. when you move to it, that bug will still be there.

Best regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Exactly Scott.....testing a new version with your data set is critcal. Don't rely on other people to hopefully report an issue that would be major to your needs. It could turn out that you are the only user to do something a certain way. Or others that discovered the issue may elect to workaround it and never report it.

Scott...does the "Save Notification" flicker on your PC? Most times I don't see it cause when rotating, panning, and zooming.....it flickers and thus faintly shows. Sometimes I only know it's there because I caught a faint flicker out of the corner of my eye. Then I move the mouse pointer down to the lower right and it appears. I have a gaming nvidia card so I figured that was the problem but I was wondering if others see it with Cad video cards.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back