Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks and 64-bit systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDMAdmin

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2004
US
SolidWorks has posted a list of system requirements for SW2006, as well as the supported operating systems. As of SW2005 SP4, SolidWorks will run under Window$ XP 64-bit, but it will be supported as a 32-bit application for the foreseeable future. Our VAR has told me that when running under 64-bit Window$, SW will be able to use a little more memory (physical + virtual) than it could under the 32-bit OS, on the order of 3.6 GB or so, total.

Memory limits should disappear for all practical purposes after SolidWorks comes out with a native 64-bit version, whenever that is...

We have a user here that just purchased a new pc. It has Win Prof 64, dual AMD-64's, 4GB RAM, etc. He previously ran an assy thru Cosmos and it took approx 1.5 days. Now on the new one, it took approx 20-30 min. It takes approx 3 seconds to turn on the machine from cold to 100% running!
Although it has SolidWorks 2005, it processes models faster than I ever imagined!

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Really?!? That's impressive.

Sounds like it's a dedicated machine. I run all sorts of miscellaneous little applications in the background that I've picked up over the years. Any news on how well other programs run with the 64-bit OS (email, browsers, anti-virus, etc.)? I'd be very interested to know.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

rockguy,

I have heard the same thing, but SolidWorks does not say that anywhere on their website. That's what I find confusing.

At the SolidWorks 2006 rollout, they told us their might be a 2006-plus release toward the end of this year that will support the 64 system. It is not official yet.

Chris

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

SolidWorks 2004 SolidWorks 2005 SolidWorks 2006 After SolidWorks 2006
XP Professional XP Professional XP Professional XP Professional
(32-bit) (1) (32-bit) (1) (32-bit) (1) (32-bit) (1)
2000 Professional (2) 2000 Professional (2) 2000 Professional (2) Not supported
Not supported XP Professional XP Professional XP Professional
(64-bit) (5)(6) (64-bit) (5) (64-bit) (5)

(5) Supported as a 32-bit application running in the 64-bit OS

What do you mean it tells you no where about 64-bit? This is found at the link above.

I was talking to a tech guy here about this thread and he pointed out on our our customers.

This was after I quoted ctopher

We have a user here that just purchased a new pc. It has Win Prof 64, dual AMD-64's, 4GB RAM, etc. He previously ran an assy thru Cosmos and it took approx 1.5 days. Now on the new one, it took approx 20-30 min. It takes approx 3 seconds to turn on the machine from cold to 100% running!
Although it has SolidWorks 2005, it processes models faster than I ever imagined!

Chris

This was his answer to that:

That is basically the equivalent of “3GB mode”. I see that they have 4gb ram. In 32-bit, roughly 1 gb would be available to SW. In 64-bit, roughly 3gb would be available to SW.

"X user" switched 3gb on in SW2004 and SW2005 and found that a 15000 part conveyor assembly loaded in about ½ hour fully resolved in SW2003…….in SW2004 and 2005, the assembly loaded fully resolved in 3 minutes!!!

This is something to think about.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

Thanks Scott.
I am looking at purchasing a AMD 64, Win Pro 64 system in about 1-2 weeks. But, I can only afford 1GB RAM right now. I will upgrade soon after.
Scott, your link for CyberSystems on your site has best prices so far.

Chris

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Thanks. Yes, that was the only part I had an issue with, the graphics card. But I can always switch that out later, probably cheaper too.

Chris

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Check out . Just build it from scratch. It’s a little cheaper and you can get exactly what you want. The last 4 computers I have built (for me and other people) where all ordered form here. All except memory that I get from . Make sure you look into a SATA drive for your OS and programs there are some that run at 10Krpm makes loading time screaming fast. By building it yourself you can sacrifice other computers for parts to cut down on cost. Just don’t be cheep about the case Larger is better (air flow is good) and a side fan is a plus. Hell even water cooled towers are getting cheaper. Water opens up a whole new can of worms because you can over clock you processor(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back