Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks and Windows Desktop Search 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlt77

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2007
US
Has any one incountered issues with SolidWorks and Windows Desktop Search?

I had a situation here where I was told the SolidWorks search functionality (Windows Desktop Search)had taken control (ownership) of a file to where no one else could open or use that file.

I was told I had to re-boot my machine so that ownership could be released.

This was a file I had never seen or opened before.

any thoughts?

The engineering group just wants to understand if what IT told is valid. We are leaning towards no.

Thanks

Jeff Thomas
CSWP
Millar Instruments

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SolidWorks 2008 opens files for dissection, see "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Search" -> "Schedule dissection". Otherwise WDS should not hold files open.

There are tools on the net for this. They seem to have someway of releasing ownership...

But if I were IT I would tell you to reboot as well...

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

I have the same problem with this ownership thing. Most of the time I cannot copy all my SolidWorks model files until SolidWorks closes completely. After every program closes there are files I cannot delete because of this ownership thing. Our IT told us to reboot as well. IT is not the one that has to wait for the system to reboot.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

While that is true, just using some tool to release ownership can do lots of damage to your software & data... That's why I said I would tell you to reboot...

But you can also do things more constructively:
[ul]
[li]Get process monitor:
[/li]
[li]Make a list of the 'problem' files.[/li]
[li]Enter those names/paths in the filter.[/li]
[li]Note the process last opening the file(s)[/li]
[li]Have IT fix the software or kill the responsible process in taskmanager[/li]
[/ul]

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

Stefan Hamminga,
Now that is good information. A star for you.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Thanks for the information. Is the ownership issue windows related or is it an issue with SolidWorks? We may just uninstall windows desktop search if it continues to be problem.

Thanks again.

Jeff

I believe it is a Windows issue, not SW. Windows Desktop Search will continually run in the background, it is a resource hog. Our IT group told us if we must use this functionality, use Google Desktop Search. I have not yet done so.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back