Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solidworks bogging/crashing/performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire2332

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2010
US
I've been having quite a few issues lately with solidworks crashing or just generally being slow. I'm fairly certain its the PC on but I'd like some other opinions.

the assemblies I'm working on are usually less than 30mb, they do how ever contain a lot of small parts, probably around 150-200 or so. Depending on the assembly it will either bog down in the actual 3D model, in the drawing, or both. I have one drawing file that is 115mb and it does NOT like that one lol. that file I am always having problems with and it is my top level drawing... not fun

computer specs are as follows: athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz, 4GB ram, win7 32-bit and nvidia quadro fx 3400/4400. running solidworks 2009

I had an even older one than that a few months ago. I figure a fresh built machine is in order. thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are numerous things that can contribute to your problems, SolidWorks related and others. I wrote about many of them, and some of what you can do about them, on my blog. The first part is here.
There's a total of five parts.

Beyond that, what you're describing sounds like a resource issue. SolidWorks is well known for not releasing memory. The longer it's open, and being used, the more memory it sucks up. Having other programs open (Outlook, IE, FF, Media Player) can also contribute to the problem. You may want to verify that you're using an approved video driver for you system as well.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back