Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks BOM to Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sublimenalmssage

Structural
Jun 14, 2013
US
Hey there,
In SolidWorks I've managed to copy and paste link my BOM into excel. It's a nice feature being able to change the quantity of one item in the solidworks BOM and watch it change in the excel sheet. Now I have an old excel sheet with all of our parts and prices. I want to link that old sheet with the new BOM in my solidworks design so when I change the qty in the BOM it will change the QTY and price in the old Pre-Made excel sheet. This way I don't have to recreate a new excel sheet that has all the equations in it already.
Can anyone please help me with this and/or if it is even possible to do such a task.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey ctopher thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. I've been playing around with the design study tables and I would like to create a column for each part I'm using as a cost and then create a BOM template with cost being included into it afer an assembly is done. Is it possible for solidworks to spit out the cost of each part in the BOM automatically without me having to manually input the same cost value each time I do a new project using the same parts

Create a custom property in each part file (and your part template file) for the cost information. Any custom property can be displayed in a BOM. It sounds like you want this to be your SOP so will want to create a custom BOM template to display the cost. If a part file does not have a cost property or if it is not filled in then it will display as blank in the BOM.

- - -Updraft

Yea I actually got it to do what I wanted. Like you mentioned to go into every property of each part and create a custom property. I also had to edit the BOM template to configure the name so that way it would give me all of the information I needed for each part. Thanks for your help guys. Really appreciate it.

How did you do this?

We'd like to have an assembly drawing and BOM in a solidworks drawing, then when we open the excel bom, it reflects the most current bom.

so.. what do we do in solidworks, what does that look like and 2) how do we get it to update excel.

thank you for your help.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back