Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks compatible Cam ware

Status
Not open for further replies.

krustykrabs

Automotive
Mar 20, 2004
CA
I really need to find the best cam ware that will support Solidworks. Either directly as a built in or be able to import iges created from SolidWorks correctly.

It's extremely important that I am able to import points and curves from solid works, along with the surfs 'course.

If someone has found that cam ware, perhaps you could mention how you were able to get points and curves exported with the iges file from solidworks? (ie. do they have to be specific types of entities, any relational no-no's?)
I've tried multiple forums to no avail so far.

Thanks All! :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should check out the Gold partners at the SW website. That will list their partners. HTen you can contact them to give you a demo. Question them to death when they come in an give you a demo.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Thanks SBaugh, already done that. Camworks will not cut the 3d trimlines that I need, only in 2.5x
SolidCam will, however, their software introduces a hell of a lot of air cutting due to the fact that the tool always raises up to safe Z between each and every pick within a toolpath. And you can't ramp your z-plane toolpaths.
We cut to very fine tolerances involving thousands and thousands of picks/stepovers, and this would waste hours over course of a job.
My next option was to try out a certified partner, such as Mastercam.
Perhaps I can coax a Gold Partner to institute the changes I desire, and then wait for that particular release.

I'd like to hear from actual cam users please.

We use Solidworks and Surfcam. There is a free translator available on the Surfcam site that we use called "PRT2DSN" that translates all the sketch lines as well as the trimmed surfaces that come from the solid. While I've never been able to translate SW surfaces using this, the surfaces that I need to control the cutter are easy to make using the sketch lines. We do a lot of 4 axis machining on swept surfaces.

Saw your post under machining too.

Tom Stanley

We use GibbsCam solidsurfacer program and i love the direct pushbutton transfer in SW, this allows me to make changes to the model and hit a button to transfer to Gibbs then i hit a button on gibbs and it updates the toolpaths. I can also explode any 2d or 3d line of a solid model that i want to so then it is a line, curve, nurbs ect...

We are using Surfcam 2003 with the 4 axis module, and Solidworks 2004. The 4 axis version allows us to continuously vary the 4th axis. There is also a translator, Solidworks to Surfcam along the lines of what Rocko mentions for Gibbs, where you can use Solidworks to update the Surfcam drawing and press a button to update the tool path. I haven't used it much though, (old habits die hard) and couldn't say whether the surfaces (as opposed to the solids) that you draw in Solidworks are translated as well using that method.

I want my cutter to follow the surface at a constant z height and the actual, real surface of the part varies up and down. Therefore I use the sketch lines from the Solidworks drawing to create an untrimmed surface that has an edge at a constant z height.

Tom Stanley

Way back in 1989 SurfCAM was new and I was one of the first VARs. It was pretty good (and FAST) even then in its first version, so I would agree that it would probably be a good package to look at today. It did some cool things that no-one else seemed to be able to on as PC.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back