Solidworks crashes when trying to modify part

Status
Not open for further replies.

peternoon

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2011
BO
Hello,

I have this problem with Solidworks crashing when trying to edit a feature, even
trying to change the height of an extrusion. I have received an assembly and parts
together in one folder. They are from a previous Solidworks version and I have
saved the parts for Solidworks to update them in the new version when Solidworks asks me.

The assembly is not that complicated and I can open it, view it, change part
color, make section views, etc. With simple parts, I can open the feature to
edit it. But with more complex parts (not that complex), Solidworks just cannot
seem to open the feature and I have to end up closing it or it will spend all
night trying to open the feature.

The RX diagnostic does not report problems, like lack of memory. While it is
trying to open the feature, Task manager tells me that it using only 60% of the
memory and as little as 7% of CPU power. I can even do fairly detailed renderings
with the memory I have.

So I don't get it, could it be because the parts were made with an old version
of Solidworks or is it permanently looking for a reference to the part in the
assembly file or is it looking for the link to the part file from the assembly
if I try to edit the part in the assembly?

Could the parts be locked against being modified without me knowing? I could
upload one or two parts for somebody to try and edit them. If it happens to you
then it is the file. If not, it is my system.

With my own assemblies and parts I do not have this problem.

I do not know where else to look.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Post the file. If the file works on my PC then its not the file, its a computer specific. If the file fails for me then its file specific, and it probably corrupt. You would have to send the file to your VAR to see if they can get up corrupted through SW.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I think that, first, the best thing to do is to upload the file and see if it causes trouble to other people. Please try to open 2 o 3 features as if you were modifying them and see if you get a problem. If you do not have a problem, then it is something in my system I do not know with which version of Solidworks it was created. Please let me know if you updated it to any version of Solidworks and if you managed to modify anything and save it.

Then only thing I can say is that I still do not have parts, of my own creation, as complex as this one, in case the memory or graphics card have limitations but then I can open and handle the whole assembly where this is one of several parts.

Mystery

Thanks

here is the link to the part:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c79653e8-a956-4d0a-afa8-ab3e63f158f6&file=Cup_base.SLDPRT
That part was created with SW15, or at least it was last saved with SW15.
download.aspx

I was able to modify the first revolve feature and several others, so it looks like the problem is at your end.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=11f8c689-6d43-4b27-879d-450776cba8c0&file=Cup_Base_SW15.PNG
Thanks

Oh dear, back to the drawing board then (no pun intended)

At the moment the only thing I can think of is the graphics card as I think it is not one of the ones apporved by Solidworks. Can it do this, just display the wait gif until it says 'not responding'?

Hello,

Thank you for that. I have now managed to open the features to modify them by leaving Solidworks for half an hour! trying to open them but then it gets really slow. It had no happened with my other parts as they were not as complicated as this one.
I have Solidwork 2017
So shall I try increasing the page file size or what?
Unfortunately my graphics card is not listed in the Solidworks list of cards

Here is my system spec:

Graphics card:

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Virtual memory (page file)

initial: 2500 Mb

maximum size: 3700 Mb

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9ba17c91-cbb6-425c-9e66-4fbf5ddf1bf8&file=System_info.JPG
Unsupported VC will cause you all kinds off issues. I am not saying all unsupported cards don't work, but they are not recommended. If you cannot afford to replace the your card, try a new driver. It might resolve this issue possibly, but it might cause other issues. You have to understand that without a supported card you will have issues.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back