Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerROD

Mechanical
May 23, 2008
CA
Hello,

Recently, I've been trying to draw a rather complicated feature in Solidworks 2006 SP5.1. Basically, picture a sort of auger with varying flight widths and pitches. In order to achieve the varying flight width, I break the flight into two sides (Following side and pushing side) and I use helices to merge the sweep paths. For some reason, I can make the pushing side and the following side individually, but I cannot make them into one part. I receive the following warning message:

"The feature could not be completed (failed to merge bodies)"

I'm just looking for a set of suggestions or instinctive responses that experienced Solidworks users would check when confronted with this type of error message.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most likely each of the 2 helices don't come together at the exact some point and that is why you cannot merge the bodies. they have to be exact or they must intersect or the bodies will not merge. Doesn't matter if SW06 to 08 process is still the same.

Redo the paths and make sure they intersect or meet. They cannot meet at a point either. That will result in zero thickness geometry and that will not merge either. So recheck work and then maybe you can get the bodies to merge.

I use the measure tool to see where my sketches are at.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I agree with SBaugh but I would also add that if it makes sense for your design you might want to add a flat section at the intersection area and make it overlap in both bodies. It can be very small as long as it is common to both bodies. This will help with the zero thickness geometry SBaugh was talking about.

Thanks for both of your posts.

I ended up separating the geometry, and then joining them with a rectangular sweep in the centre, worked out fine. I just had to add one operation where I did a revolve cut to smooth the outer surface.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back