Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Explorer search is ineffective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilasH

Dec 19, 2006
US
In this case, I have a part named 150KAN150 checked out from PDMWorks into a folder on my desktop. Testing out how well Solidworks Explorer works (for non-SW users at our company) I searched for KAN, and it didn't turn up, though all sorts of files in the design library with kan even in the author's name or description showed up. Searching for 150, though, it was at the top of the list, and also with "150KAN". Is there any explanation for this, or is Solidworks Explorer simply unreliable for finding what you're looking for?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just searched by typing into the bar at the top of SW Explorer. I have several folders for it to look through, including the PDM checkout folder, the design folder, and a folder on the network that has some files. The settings are the same for each search, why would one string cause the file to show up and not another, when both are contained in the file name?

Really, I just want to know what sort of search engine is it where one string will cause a result to display, but a string consisting of a portion of that string won't? It's indexed, the search folders are fine.

It may be that it is requiring the string to be at the start of the name. 150 and 150KAN both are at the beginning of 150KAN150. You might try *KAN* .

Eric

Well, *KAN caused my file to turn up (among a few others), but I'm not sure why, because when I searched for KAN, files turned up without KAN at the beginning. When I searched KAN*, only the file I was looking for showed up. When I searched *KAN*, all the files showed up that showed up for either KAN or *KAN. I still don't see a definite method to it. For every hypothesis there's a counterexample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back