Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SolidWorks file conversion frpm 2003 to 2001+ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesh8448

Mechanical
Sep 21, 2002
US
I use SolidWorks 2003, but I will be working with a client who has 2001+ only. Does anyone know of a way to convert 2003 files back to 2001+? The viewer is not the answer, because he wants to be able to edit as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have long thought that Solidworks should allow users to save their file as a earlier version. Example: A 2003 user could save from 2003-2001+ , A 2001+ user from 2001+ -2000. Ect... I could understand limiting how far back you could go because of technical reasons but i think a version or two back is no big deal. My CAM software allows it and they have different operations and kernals for generating tool paths ect..

sw 2003 MODEL file must be saved as an IGES. A drawing must be saved as a DXF file. I have several vendors who have older versions of Solid Works, and have to accomodate them this way.

Rocko

I understand what you mean and I wich also that we could save files in early versions (also to make transitions to new versions with less risk).

But this would work only on simple designs. New features, new capabilities to understand surfaces, additional attributes to features, ..., would no be readable in the early version.

Regards

The best method for transferring solid model data to an older version of SolidWorks is to export as a Parasolid xmt-txt (x_t) file, choosing the proper version of Parasolid for the older SW version.
Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

macPT, I understand what you are saying and yes there would need to be some thought on Solidworks side to allow for new geometry tools introduced in a newer version that did not exist before. My thinking is that if a newer version of Solidworks can bring in a older model which used possibly a modified or no longer existing geometry method for creation then they have given some thought on changes to the software. How come they could not have a import module/export module for older to newer versions that would adjust. ie.. a multisolid body part would come in as a assembly to a older version of software ect... Or why not boost the Feature Recognition module to allow for recognizing features from different versions. Just a thought

Has anyone actually tried to save a 2003 model out as a parasolid and open it in 2001+? We have, and 2001+ will not open them. I tried both parasolid exports.
BBJT CSWP

Also when you save them as a Parasolid did you change the Version to 13 instead of 14? (Options Button when saving)

SW01+ will not open a Version 14 Parasolid. You have to save it to a version 13 for SW01+ to open it.

I just tried this myself.

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

An observation:

I have noticed that if you set the preview window on file open in SW2001+, you can see the file contents of a SW2003 file, but when selecting the file to open with "OK" it fails, showing "Future version" - so is this just a marketing ploy to push upgrades?.

No, just different technologies at work. The preview image is actually that, an image imbedded into the SW file. It is ina standard image format, like BMP. Since it is usually at the top of the file structure, you get to see it. When you try to open the 2003 file in 2001+, now SW starts to read the version of SW and Parasolid and says nope this file is from a newer version.
Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I would settle for a warning that some features may be lost in the conversion, like other software products give. Lets face it, most folks never use the majority of "new capabilities" that they keep coming up with. It seems that the basic modality (sketches, extrusions, cuts, revolves) never changes.

Lets face it; most folks never use the majority of "new capabilities" that they keep coming up with. It seems that the basic modality (sketches, extrusions, cuts, revolves) never changes.

That's not true.

A lot of people use the new features. (Where do you most of these new features come from?....Users) I use the Multi-body a lot more now that it's available. You can't use that in SW01+ and if we are able to save back to an older version. How do you think SW01+ would accept that... with and error, that's how it would see a Multi-body.

In some instances the way a sketch is created is different from version to version. The way the extrusion or cut was made is different from version to version. (EX: in SW03 there is an option "Up to Body" that option is not in SW01+. How would SW01+ respond...Error.

If the multi-body was the first (Or base extrusion) there wouldn't be model left because after it couldn't figure out how to build the multi-body then the rest of the tree would collapse in on itself and the model would be trash.

You would be better off sending it out as a Parasolid, IGES, or step than you would be at saving back a version...Which this is what your doing now to get your models transferred.

I hope you understand my logic of why I think transferring back a version would really not be a benefit vs. how we transfer back now. Although I understand the need to transfer back a version.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

Scott,

First let me say, I find your posts helpful and informative.

I agree with what you are saying about new features. It is probably not feasible to save models created in a newer version back to an older version. I need to explain my situation further.

About a year ago, I created a complete design of several mechanical assemblies for a client using 2001+. The development program was set aside due to a lack of funding.

Now the client wants to proceed with development of this product, but he is still on 2001+. There are some changes he wants me to make, but I am on 2003. If I make the changes then he can't use the files in the future unless he upgrades to 2003 which he is unwilling to do at this time.

Do you know if SolidWorks 2001+ and 2003 can exist together on the same workstation? If so, then I will reinstall the 2001+ release for this job, and use 2003 for everything else.

It is to bad SolidWorks hasn’t learned the lesson most software people have. The ability to save files to an older version will enhance overall customer satisfaction and in the end more people will update to the newer version or recommend the product.
Word and Excel are two examples of backwards compatibility, the DXF format another.
It is sad that SolidWorks can open other CAD files but you cannot save to a prior version of SolidWorks.
As to SolidWorks listening to user requests, they only if it will make them money! I’ve been to their headquarters and talked in length about file compatibility problem, shown the crashing problems, explained the cost to a company that file maintenance creates, and it all fell on deft ears so I gave up.
Until it effects there sales, don’t expect a change. Our company is reviewing different systems because of the total cost of ownership increases every year, just opening and saving all the files costs several thousand dollars in lost time per year.

You can run both SW01+ and SW03 together on the same machine without a problem. I have to with my job.

If you have already converted those files to SW03 without a backup you kind of SOL. If you have a backup of those files SW01+ or have not converted them, then you should reinstall your SW01+.

I hope that helps & Good Luck,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

It would be sweet, yes!!
Especially since I recently worked with SW2003 sp2.1 and I would have saved myself a days worth of headaches if I could have converted everyting back to SW2001plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back