Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks files will not save. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveparkinson

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2008
GB
Morning All,

I have come to work this morning with a busy day planned. I made a couple of new assemblies first, which I had no problems with.

Then I used pack and go to create new versions of some assemblies I already had. Again no problems.

Then Solidworks crashed (as if often does on my system), so I restarted as normal. After the restart I can no longer save any file. The save dialog box displays, I fill out my file name and description, press OK. It does everything it should do, but just forgets to save the file. The "Part1*" at the top of my screen does not change, and the new file does not appear in Windows Explorer.

I have tried saving assemblies, parts, drawings; all with no luck. I have restarted my computer twice. I have tried saving other filetypes from different programs with no problems.

I am running SolidWorks 2009 SP0.0. I am no longer on subscription, so can't update my service pack. And can not call my VAR for help.

Has anyone else had this problem, and does anybody know of a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bugger. I had a feeling somebody might suggest a repair/reinstall. My installation disc is at home in my laptop after doing a re-install on that over the weekend.

Look's like it might be a wasted day :(

You could try resetting the registry. I doubt it would affect the Save problem, but is worth a try. Don't forget to export the settings first to be able to return your customizing if it doesn't work.

Hi Dave,

I see lots of good suggestions above.

If you don't get anywhere with them, or a simple reinstall or repair, here is a power reinstall that has fixed some of the program file corruption issues I've seen over the years. Its not recommended for the novice solidworks user or PC unsavy.

1. Uninstall as normal
2. Make sure all your part and data files are NOT in one of the directories in #3
3. Delete C:\Program Files\Solidworks and/or Solidworks Corp directories.
4. Rename your C:\Solidworks Data (toolbox) to something like "backup" that SW won't recognize. If you dont use the toolbox just delete this directory.
**ONLY do if you are comfortable with registry editing and make a backup before doing!**
5. Remove Solidworks registry entries under Current User:->Software-->Solidworks, Solidworks Corp, and SRAC.
6. Remove Solidworks registry entries under Local Machine:-->Software-->Solidworks, Solidworks Corp, and SRAC
7. Turn off virus software
8. Reinstall from your 2009 SP0.0 disk.

Here are some preformance tweaks to reduce crashing when you get your system up and running
A. Swap file no more than 1-1.5 size physical RAM. For a 2 gig RAM it would be 3000. For a 32bit machine maxed out at 4 gig use 4000-4100. Straight from working with two Soliworks resellers.
B. Disable as much junk sucking your memory & processor in the systray as possible using msconfig and stuff in the All Programs-->Startup as possible. Email autonotify has caused crashing issues as well as weatherbug and messengers that are running in the background. Have cleaned off many PC's of these with favorable result.
C. Uninstal Windows Desktop Search if you don't use it.
D. Remove swap file, run full defrag, and resetablish swap file.
E. Download latest video driver(if available) for your video card/pc combination from Solidworks RX Certified/Tested video driver site.
F. If you dont' use toolbox or pdmworks add ins and have them turned on, uncheck them.
G. In your preformance tab turn down some of the high level graphics features like animaton for mates, circle resulution, etc.

Good Luck. I hope you don't end up going this far.

Many thanks for the suggestions all.

I'm using my laptop today in order to get the work done, as I'm in a bit of a rush. But I think I'll set tomorrow aside for some housekeeping. I'm quite confident that a re-install will fix the problem, and while I'm at it a tidy up couldn't hurt.

That said, I'll stay away from the registry if possible. I've got an uncanny knack for making things worse :p

Thanks again.

PS. AnnaWood; if I could just swap my computer for yours, I'm sure that would solve the problem :p - i'll take that 30" monitor too XD

Slight niggle though. When I restore my settings from the Copy Settings Wizard, the problem reappears.

Bit of a pain, but at least I can save my files again.

Dave,

With your latest piece of information you should check the file locations referenced in your SolidWorks System Options settings. Perhaps it is telling SWX to use an invalid location.

- - -Updraft

There is also an option to silently discard changes to files that were opened read only.
Now I know what that option is for: to drive you insane!

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Edit for above: Save and Save As quit working for drawings only after installing SW2010. I was able to save with Pack and Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back