Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks for steel structures? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StructDave

Structural
Jan 23, 2011
CA
(searched around and couldn't find any threads on this; also couldn't find a more suitable forum)
Does anyone here use Solidworks to model steel structures?
- Small simple ones, i.e. an access platform with stair, beams, posts, guardrail?
- Mid-size, i.e. a small building addition or penthouse?
- Large or complex, i.e. a multi-storey plant expansion including equipment?
If yes to any of these, do you use the sections database or other add-ons?
Do you generate working drawings from the SWx model (either directly or via SAT, IGS etc to AutoCAD?)
How about analytical functions in SWx, to assist engineering?
Comments would be appreciated from anyone that has tried any of these steps, thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used SW 2007 through 2010.
I have used the built in structural sections tools for engine/generator skids, and brackets for same, with no difficulty that I can remember.

My then employer would be unlikely to pay for add-ons for anything, but it's no big deal to sketch an arbitrary profile and extrude it, so I remember doing that for a few odd sections.

Extruding profiles pasted from other sources will fail if the polylines are crossed or broken or otherwise messed up. I think I found section databases for other tools that were intentionally gummmed up, but accurate enough once repaired.

I tried several times, but could never make the 'weldments' functions/tools work in a way that made sense for me.

I made a model of a fairly large PEMB, with the usual tapered column/rafter bents, just from measurements (and eyeball guesses) of the actual building, for purposes of laying out a proposed installation within and around it, and generated poster size aerial views for a presentation. The presenter seemed pleased, but his hand-waving specs were not a model of precision.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Weldmenst are the best way to go here... if you have have trouble with them let me know or post here, they are really easy once you get your head around the idea. Here is a tip for adding your own profiles to the weldments location -
Also SW offers the ability to download and unzip a ton of profiles from the Task pane (Design Library\Solidworks Tools\Weldments).

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I have to agree with Scott. While the Weldments module may not be as extensively equipped as some of the partner product offerings at it is certainly powerful enough for a good range of structural projects and is very simple to use. I have not personally used it for any complex structures, but have seen a few impressive Weldments models.

Does anyone here use Solidworks to model steel structures?
Yes, we model decks, platforms, stairs, small weldments, large weldments, lifting fixtures, etc.

- Large or complex, i.e. a multi-story plant expansion including equipment?
At some point the level of detail involved in SW, and the resulting file sizes, can make it unwieldy and slow. I compare it to the old days when some designers would draw screw threads in AutoCAD - a pointless waste of time and computer resources. Modeling an entire manufacturing plant in SW is an attractive thought, but the practicality of producing and using such a behemoth soon overcomes the dream.

If yes to any of these, do you use the sections database or other add-ons?
Yes, we use the built in database. Be aware - the default SW installation only includes a few introductory profiles. You must install the full package to get full functionality. You can choose which standards you want in your Toolbox configuration.

Do you generate working drawings from the SWx model (either directly or via SAT, IGS etc to AutoCAD?)
Yes - directly. Why go to some other software to make drawings?

How about analytical functions in SWx, to assist engineering?
Yes. We aren't FEA experts (who is?) but we use the stress and deflection analysis features of SW on a regular basis to optimize our designs.

Comments would be appreciated from anyone that has tried any of these steps, thanks!
I work in a proprietary steel manufacturing plant. Our engineering department designs (or contracts the design of) all the equipment in the plant. We transitioned over from AutoCAD about four years ago. Even the old die hards are full-on believers now, often heard to say, "I could have never done that in AutoCAD.".

One the most powerful tools for us is the weldments tool. One must start slowly and easily when learning it, and expect to become VERY frustrated in the process. But like they say, Once you've got it, you've got it. And you'll never go back.

Several things I like about it are:
(1) non-engineers quickly understand design concepts when they can see them manipulated in 3D,
(2) the ability to show both the "as welded" and the "as machined" configurations in full detail,
(3) the ability to easily experiment with different element sizes and shapes on the fly,
(4) the ability to create custom profiles and libraries. (It comes with things like a Unistrut and 8020 library. I created a lumber library to model wooden structures.)
(5) modifying existing profiles or creating new ones is easy. (They're just 2D sketches with custom properties that are merged into your model when you use them.)
(6) the trimming, coping, and end cap tools work well.
(7) showing detailed views of individual pieces is easy with the "relative view" tool.
(8) to get good at weldments you have to learn about multi-body parts, and once you learn how the various other tools (mirroring, patterning, hole wizard, etc.) work with multi-body parts you tend to use multi-body parts much more often.

Some things I don't like:
(1) SW started a good thing with the automatic cut lists, but they dropped the ball half-way to the goal. Their cut lists are very useful, but can become very frustrating. You have to learn a lot about configurations to really use them well.
(2) adding external parts (like welded rod eyes or welded hex nuts) is not a huge challenge once you understand how to do it, but I think it is more complicated than it needs to be.

Overall, I wouldn't trade it for anything! Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back