Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Freezes when I click "File"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfarris

Marine/Ocean
Oct 30, 2009
US
I'm having a problem with Solidworks where my computer freezes when I click the File tab in Solidworks. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem or a solution. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does it freeze permanently and then crash or does it just freeze for a few seconds?

This was a problem in an earlier service pack on some systems; have you upgraded to the latest SP?

You might also try resetting your registry. Go to Start-->Run, type regedit. Located HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Solidworks

Rclick and rename to Solidworks_ or something like that.

Try opening SW back up and see if the problem persists.

Finally you can try reinstalling.

This was an issue in early SP's of SW2009.

To fix you need to go to Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use > Check the box for 'Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys'.

This is in Vista. I haven't had the issue in Windows 7.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Anna Built Workstation, Core i7 EE965, FirePro V8700, 12 gigs of RAM, OCZ Vertex 120 Gig SSD
SW2009 SP3.0, Windows 7 RC1

In Commands > Flyout Toolbars the Standards flyout icon has most of the icons included on the Standard toolbar. I've listed the Flyout icons below that correspond to the File Menu icons. I still believe that this issue is related to not only the Alt underscores which usually cause issues and the File Previews that show when recent files are picked or hovered on when menu is open.

New>
New - Part, Assembly, Drawing
Make New Drawing from Part/Assembly
Make New Assembly from Part/Assembly

Open>
Open
Browse recent documents

Save>
Save
Save As
Save All

Print>
Print
Print Preview
Page Setup

Close

For any of the other menu items the ones without icons cannot be shown on a toolbar because they don't have a corresponding buttons.

-Not available-
Find References
Publish to 3dvia
Pack and Go
Properties

For these you can assign keyboard shortcuts like
Alt+K for pacK&go
Alt+F for Find References
CTRL+Enter for File Properties or use the Custom Properties tab of the Task pane instead.

Michael

Thanks for the responses. I'm running SW2009 and SP4 on Windows XP 64bit. My computer freezes for anywhere between 30 seconds and a few minutes.

Probably not the cause in your case, but worth checking anyway. SW doesn't handle files it cannot find very well or indeed consistantly; so if a file has been opened, saved as something else and the original deleted, or if a file has been opened over a network, from a computer that isn't running when you click on the File tab or press the "R" key, more often than not, it will stop responding, occasionally, it will come up with a suitable error message after a few minutes and very rarely it will work as you would wish and say it cannot find the file after a few seconds!

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2009x64 SP4.1 Intel Core i7 2.94Ghz, 12Gb Ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.9100
SW2009x64 SP4.1 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.17Ghz, 8Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.9100

I used to have this problem and it went away when I installed the latest SW certified video driver. For the life of me I don't understand why it would matter...but in my case it did. Maybe the new driver installation fixed a problem dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back