Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solidworks in kitchen design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojournerman

Industrial
Jun 5, 2014
NZ
Does anyone here use solidworks for kitchen designing and for the cnc output?
How do you do the nesting and optimisation of your different materials(muf double sided white for the carcass etc)
(Does the cam software do that by it's self ?)
Also tips please on how you have set up your basic models?
Through a design sheet or just straight configurations ?
Any and all advice appreciated
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did some consulting work a few years back for a company that did just that.
Except I showed them how to use solidworks for the cabinet design and master layouts. They took the data into their CAM package and used its functionality to create the nesting.

The way I approached it with them was create a master model/assembly approach for each cabinet type. Then we wrote programs with input forms for them to input sizes, door types, etc.

For each door type (i.e. slab, different raised panel types, etc) i created master assembly models and parts. The cabinet assembly would be built with a base cabinet, and would insert the desired doors and mate them in place.

Once created, drawings were generated and the models were exported to CAM where they would be cut out and drilled based on hardware selections.

Regards,
Jon

I would use a "master sketch" and save each one as a different files instead of using Configs, especially if you have multiple users.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Well some of the parts had configurations but the dimensions and such were all controlled through the program.

A better way to do it would be have templates and rules based configurators.. like rulestream or driveworks.

Regards,
Jon

I standardized the cabinet parts. You can break down the standard cabinet into a basic set of parts. A base cabinet has side panels, bottom panel, back panel, and stretchers. My base cabinet has the option for 2, 3, or 4 drawers, or doors. The top cabinets follow the same concept, but no drawers. The advantage of creating them as parts is you can tool path each part and import that directly into a cut file assembly. I tried using master sketches, but your time creating tool paths becomes much longer. I use CamWorks, and while it has automatic feature recognition, it is far from perfect for woodwork parts. I can post some pics if you want.

I am not a full time SW guy, so I am sure many (likely most) of you are far more experienced.

Is this for a client or is this a one off for yourself? In all honesty, for a cabinet manuf, this is not the best software to use. The amount of hardware options in the woodwork industry is vast, and keeping it up to date is a big job. That said, if the company does a lot of odd tasks, it can be a very good option.

Mine was for a customer, a cabinet maker, back when I was working as an application engineer for Solidworks reseller. And yes that was clear at the time that the amount of hardware options could be daunting. If you are serious about pursuing something like that, you should take a look at rulestream. Rather than a master model approach they actually do new feature creation programmatically. Its pretty powerful stuff but its also a bit of an investment but with a pretty decent ROI.

Regards,
Jon

Yeah thats an option, but its pretty limited at the express level.. and it can only do dimensional and configurative changes.. Rulestream is the only one I know of that can do feature creation from scratch based on a set of rules.

Regards,
Jon

But to do that you have to buy rulestream correct? If so, then driveworks is a something to be researched and compared to especially if they are going to have to pay for either one to do what they want.

I seen rulestream many years ago when they first came out. Don't misunderstand me, I like rule stream they have a good product, but so does driveworks. So I am just making sure everyone knows what is out there.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I was reviewing the driveworks demos. This seems very efficient for the modeling, but how might one set this up so the part tool paths are included and you do not need to tool path the parts for each assembly? Creating the tool paths using the automatic feature recognition works well if the parts are simple shapes, but blind 1/2 dado joints are common, and Camworks does not auto create the pockets for those very well. Creating the tool path sketches and then making the pockets takes a little time, and if you have sheets and sheets of parts to cut it can turn into a lot of time where it is very easy to make a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back