Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Interface: Reference Geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Polyp

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2017
DE
Dear all,

when I use the Geometry Interface for SolidWorks only volumes and shells are transfered but no reference geometry elements like points, axes, planes.
I need at least a reference point that is defined in my SW assembly for a MPC constraint.
Is there a way to include the export of those elements?

(My quick and dirty workaround would be creating a rectangular solid in SW which I exclude from simulationin abaqus. It's vetices and edges could serve for defining datums in abaqus).
EDIT: This does actually not work because datums and planes are lost after geometry update...

Thanks for your help

A.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
My answer is no,you can`t.I don`t use geometry interface,instead I import geometry via step file format from SW. I create separate files for shell and wire geometry.I insert ref points where it is necessary after import and use scripting extensively to connect parts.

hey
thanks for your reply.
I wonder how optimization programs like ISIGHT work, which are aimed to change the geometry in a defined way but should (apart from the geometry) conduct the same FE analysis again and again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back