SolidWorks Needs To Do A Better Job At Exporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorsionalStress

Mechanical
May 23, 2005
CA
using SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0;

It’s already frustrating that SolidWorks doesn’t export drawings to multiple supporting CAD systems. But when it does offer an export option and it doesn’t work well, it becomes even more frustrating.

Is there a way to set-up SolidWorks to save drawing files to DWG without having to do extra work in the AutoCAD environment?

Drawings don’t appear as they should, this feature worked well in previous versions.

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could never see why anyone would find a need to export from SW to ACAD. Waste of time and recources IMO.
If you need better exporting, turn in an Enhancement Request.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

Stop [banghead] and start using SWx to its fullest potential. If you lack knowledge get some training. Then [flush] AutoCAD or forever believe AutoDesk's propaganda that you can't create a good drawing outside of AutoCAD.

I have a client who is a toolmaker who requests DWG format for placing KO pins, etc. within ACAD. He sends me the updated DWG file and I then modify the core & cavity pieces. Some folks aren't yet proficient with SolidWorks, and stick with what they excel with.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

The Reason: My client uses Catia and it’s too bad that software companies can’t find a common ground for having exported models link & reference exported drawings.

The Problem: Converted items shift & appear in different color.

I don't think we fully understand the exact issue. Granted, you will loose some colors and properties. Translation has never been easy. it a nightmare!

I use both CATIA V5 and SWX. maybe you can upload a file and I will see if we can address the issue.

A “MAP” file is setup, it’s bizarre, sometimes exporting works fine & sometimes it doesn’t.

I think it’s a bug in the software!

If you think its a bug, call your VAR and make a SW RX and send that to them to determine if it's a bug. I have seen some bugs with exporting to DWG using a MAP file. Most have been fixed with later SP's. You might be experiencing something new. There is not much we can really do in the way of helping you with a bug... that is why you must inform your VAR and have them look into this issue further... it won't get fixed if it's not turned in.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I would have occasional trouble if the dimension was at non-orthagonal angles (say, from an ISO view).

It wasnt so much of a bug (cause swx would read it back in fine) but more a difference of opinion (swx vs acad) as to where the default text placement should be in those situations.

Importing the dwg as a block, right into paperspace, would work around this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back