Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Needs to Print Full Manuals Again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko

Industrial
Jan 4, 2003
US
I think that i speak for many users of the software when i say SW needs to print a comprehensive manual for 2004 with all commands, not a dinky Whats New short story. I think that this is needed because the software has and is becoming complicated and you cannot always reference the online help and see a full screen while working. Plus it's not like we are paying chump change for subscription service.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow, this is a hot issue!!!

BTW: AutoCAD has to print manuals every rev. how the heck would anyone figure it out otherwise? Now don't go getting all hasty - just kidding :)

Seems to me SW has pretty much done all combinations of all your suggestions from time to time. The printed manuals are virtually identical to the on line help anyway. I have to agree with Scott, I have a cabinet full of SW manuals (including training manuals) which I rarely if ever open. I guess the best approach would be send one with each NEW seat. From then on we should be able to deal with on-line help and what's new. That's the way all software seems to be going. Hardcopy is so much more expensive to produce AND SHIP than CDROMs. "$25-$30" multiplied by over 250,000 seats is a S@#%& load of cash that can be better spent elsewhere. Also I have to consider that pretty much I am in front of the computer whenever I need a manual for the software. Perhaps making it easier to find certain bits of information might be nice.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

But isn't 250,000 Seats * $5,000 a seat even a much bigger pile of cash. SW can afford it and it would cost them no more than a few dollars a seat.

my $.02

DG

Actually, a keyword search goes a little farther than an index. Indexes are manually compiled, and thus no better than their compilers and editors.

More than once I have found what I needed by keyword search when the index has failed me.

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back