Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks on Vista with 9800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonful

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2008
AU
Hi all
i am new here

got problom with solidworks running on my computer.
i just got my computer built with four core cpu and Ge force 9800GT GPU.

i got the SW2008 sp0 instaled, when the SW runs
the window shows the main title bar, but in the object viewing window, shows nothing, i have tried disable my GPU, and use software opengl, it works, but looks really not good.

i have checked on the GPU vendor website, it states that 9800GT supports openGL,
and i also check on the solidworks wed, theres a list of certified GPU, none of the ge force series is in the list.

heres the question, is that the problom of the GPU it self?
or there some setting that i havent setup proprly?
the 9800GT model GPU isnt that old model, so i guess it shouldt be have any problom to run SW?

can anyone help me?
thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

handleman says it best here:

Quit complaining and jump on the treadmill (buy a Quadro). Or just get your stomach stapled (use software OpenGL).

If you don't buy a certified video card you can't complain. in my my statement I did mention that my 6600 at home works well, but in no way does that mean trade in your GF card and get an older one. My post was saying what handleman has pointed. You can't complain if you don't use a certified card, because its not supported.

If my GF crashes... I don't come out here and complain to the world, asking why it doesn't work... plain and simple, its not supported... so your solution is simple "BUY A CERTIFIED VIDEO CARD" I recommend Nvidia cards over ATI's by far. I have seen many problems with ATI cards over Nvidia cards over the last 2 years.

Everyone here has told you what you have to do... so your only response next should be...
"I went out and bought "X" certified card and SW is running *****"

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

thanks for all the help, i am not complianing about it , i was seeking any possible advice that can fix the problem with out change the vedio card, now the solution seems none, but change the vedio card,

but
i got better idea, not using SW on my computer, i will find some other compuer that run sw to use SW, my task not that reply on SW.

or maybe shoudl i try the autocad version of SW, whatever is called, inventor something?

Inventor is ACAD's solution to run against SW. It's not part of SW... that makes my cringe when you say that... argh!

If I recall almost all 3D Cad products are going to require some type of CAD card and will not just run on any card you throw at it.

Games run like crap on CAD cards and as you have found out CAD runs like crap on Game cards.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I've seen used Quadro cards at decent prices from Craigslist every once in awhile. Under $100 for FX3500 and under $50 for FX3400.

On ebay you have to compete with more people, though you can find the older ones for maybe okay prices.

Hi, I know it's a little late but I just thought I'd add support to the importance of having a supported video card. My computer has a Radeon X800 SE, which is NOT supported. I didn't know this until recently because it had worked fine for almost a couple years (real view didn't work, so I guessed it wasn't the best but I could deal). But then I installed SW SP4 and a little while later my computer started to (seemingly) randomly restart. I wasn't on my computer much at the time (especially SW), but when I did start spending more time in SW again the sudden restarts (no warning, just black screen and we're restarting) were there and only occured with SW. I tried upgrading to SP5, reinstalling SW, reinstalling other software, and it just became more frequent. Then I thankfully saw the tip here about using softaware openGL and the problem is magically gone (thanks!).

It still may get a new card for better performance (now that I know that my current card is doing little for me), but most likely I will take the computer from an engineer who has recently left (it's card is actually supported! woo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back