Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks or Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasboot

Marine/Ocean
Aug 3, 2001
US
What is the difference between Rhino and SolidWorks ?. They both handle surfaces. What does SW do that Rhino does not?.
Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rhino is also not parametric. Once you've drawn something that's the way it is. If you want to change it you have to erase it and start over. That may sound like a huge pain, but it's actually very quick and easy to do in Rhino.

I find it a very fast way to do up concepts and materials for presentations and Flamingo, its rendering package is very good.

What I experienced in SW n Rhino is:
1. Rhino (NURBS)is excellent for ID and Freeform.
2. SW (Parametric)is fantastic in Mech. Solution.

I can only agree with the above. I use Rhino for free-form modeling, then export the model to SolidWorks for further use. I see those two products as complementary, not rivaling.
Rhino is very easy to use, and although it´s very moderate priced (700-800$) it's used by the big boys as Boeing and such.
There is no parameterism or other form of modeling-history, but that´s not such a big problem as it may sound. You can of course edit what you´ve been drawing, but only manually and not by altering the parameters, of say a curve or primitive. But this also gives you a great deal of freedom. Rhino is extremely capable of modeling very complex surfaces, who would be very hard, if not impossible, to model in SolidWorks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back