Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks PDM Standard, Move Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwrichards

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2002
US
My question is without upgrading to PDM Pro, what is the easiest way to move a large assembly in multiple folders(leaving toolbox parts where they are)to one dedicated folder. We have PDM Standard 2018 (not sure if current version of pdm standard has move tree tool?).

Tom Richards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Another possibility:
File-->Pack And Go
There is a variety of options, too many for short post, but you should be able to chose a target directory, what files to move and what files to keep as they were.
Extremely powerful tool so be careful.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Scott and CheckerHater,
I want to keep the files in the vault without making a copy...not checking in a whole bunch of duplicates. Our (large) vault does not allow duplicates. I believe the move tree tool has a place where one can specify each file's location when moving.

I will double check out your suggestions but I don't think either will do as I envision the move tree tool works.

Scott,
I have read many posts by you over the years. Thanks for all your help!

Tom Richards

Thx Tom... Hope those posts helped you out.

With Pack and go or copy project you can select which files you don't want to copy. In my previous job I had a library of files that were in a special place in the vault(fasteners, purchased parts, etc...). They were always set to be reference only. When I copied an assembly or even a whole project I would deselect all files in the path that said "purchased" or "library". Then the next project would reference those files in the library.

It sounds like you want to do that between projects. IMHO I personally would not set it up like that. How I make sense of it is that all projects are different and require different part numbers, even if some of the components are exactly the same. Otherwise, if you have files that are going to be made duplicate between projects, but you want one part number then I would put those in a special location in the vault. It would make it so much easier to determine which files are to be copied and which ones are not to be... but that's just me and how it makes the most sense IMO.

Hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back