Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks Screen goes blank, processor 25% 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolDiesel

Mechanical
Feb 29, 2008
US
When I'm modeling in Solidworks, every 10-30 seconds my screen suddenly locks up, and according to task manager, the Solidworks Process is taking up a steady 25% of CPU. I know this b/c this is what I use to tell me if I've crashed or it's just doing it's video glitch thing.

I have over 5k hours of seat time in Solidworks. My machine is a Dell and it's only 3 weeks old. I would say it's "Mid range", but I can dole out specs if this will help any of you.

This problem is absolutely enfuriating and if you've ever experienced it, you know what I'm talking about. It can take me over 10 minutes to design a part that should take under a minute?!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Evol

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm running a Dell workstation with the following:

Intel Xeon X545 3Ghz
3.25 Gb RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450
24" DVI flat screen at 1920x1200

Solidworks 2007 and I normally work off the server, but I've tried working locally and I get the same results.

I just recently loaded SWX2008 (last Thursday 2/28/08) and SP3.0 (on Friday 2/29/08) and am having a similar frustration, though a bit different from Evol's description. I did not have this problem with SWX2007 SP5.

My problem is not a black or blank screen, but one that acts locked up. The Task Manager Performance tab shows the two cores busy for a total of 50%, while the Applications tab indicates SWX is not responding. I have timed this and it often takes 5 minutes (a painful eternity) to complete the task. Here's the rub - This is happening on such simple tasks/operations as changing a dimension in a sketch or unhiding a part in an assembly.

I have moved all the parts to my local hard drive. The assembly is small with a total of 11 parts and one subassy consisting of 5 parts. None of these parts are overly complicated.

Windows Desktop Search is off and not even loaded. CBL, I searched for Dissemination within SWX, but came up blank. Do you have more specifics on this?

Computer Specs:
Dell Optiplex GX620
Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz
3G Ram
nVidia Quadro FX 1700 with SWX approved driver (6.14.11.6262) and settings for Dassault/SolidWorks

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

- - -Updraft

I read a something about this when 2008 first came out and I think the word mentioned was Dissection. I haven't taken the plunge yet so can't help further

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2007x32 SP4.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.10.7756

You just described my situation.

Not complicated, 10-15 parts, and it happens when doing the most simple operations, like editing a dimension, or sketch, or rotating a part.

When I first arived here I was using an older machine. A loaner. It had the same version of solidworks, but the machine had less of everything else (in terms of processing muscle). I was also using a garbage CRT monitor w/ lower resolution. The important fact, is that I didn't exhibit this problem!?!??

Then I got this new machine, with new monitor, and the first thing I did was take out the Nvidia 1700 you are talking about and go back to the old card. That didn't do it. Then I tried the old CRT monitor. That didn't do it either.

I convinced I.T. to let me keep the older video card (Nvidia 3450) over the newer card (Nvidia 1700). THe 3450 seemed a more robust card in terms of specs, although the SW benchmark test would make you think the 1700 is the better choice for a SW user.

I'm just interested in other people who have experienced this. There's got to be a common factor. This one thing is reducing my work output by 75% or more (no joke).

Thaks for the replies so far :)

CBL,

Thanks for the clarification. The Dissection box is and has been unchecked so I don't see that as a potential contributor to the problem. My Windows Search is off and is not loaded on startup. On the same system settings tab the Indexing Performance is set to "Index only when computer is idle" vs. the other option which does indicate a potential slowdown with SWX.

The problem occurs occassionally, not on every click. (This is like trying to find the intermitent electrical short in my old '66 Impala.) Could this be related to autosave or auto-recover, something happening in the background that siezes control and won't let go for awhile? I just checked and my auto-recover isn't even set so that doesn't look to be the case.

Any ideas on where else to look or what to try?

Thanks in advance,

- - -Updraft

I'm guessing it is hard to understand if you've never seen it.

I just had the "engineering systems engineer" (LOL... that's a real title) over here and he witnessed a good one. The model window went black for over half a minute. That's when I told him that, "this is way past interupting my work output".

I've found a temporary fix for the problem. I've taken up doodling every time it happens. I'm really improving my pencil technique.

Seriously... there's got to be a better way. I'm wondering if it's a driver issue. The cards look legit.

For what it's worth, I run a Dell with the 3450 as well, and over the past two months 2007 got to the point where it was basically unusable. When I went to save an assembly it would hang for over five minutes sometimes, regardless of assembly size. It crashed often. I'm not saying it was entirely an SW issue, and had we not been getting ready to switch to '08 I would have tried a clean install.

We're running SW2008 SP3.0 and I no longer have these issues.

Hi Guys,
Being mainly a Solid Edge user I don't normally bother with the SW forum, but I thought I'd post a reply on this topic.
About 4 months ago I bought a new Intel quad core workstation and at the time the vendor told me they'd had a few issues with running Solid Works on them, and that it kept stalling and running slow. Sorry I can't remember specifically what they found as a cure but I'm sure there were some settings they had to tweak - possibly display settings, Realview?
If you think it would be worthwhile I could give them a call to find out.

bc

bc,

Thanks for the reply. Evol has a quad-core with screen blanking problems so your offer may be of some value to him. My computer is dual core and my problem is a little different from Evol's.

Until recently I had a network license on my machine, but when I went to install 2008 my IT guy was not available to give me access to the server to update the SNL so I installed a standalone license. I have just purged my computer of any trace of SWX and am in the process of installing SWX08 network licensed version. I expect all will be good with the world. I'll reply here to indicate the results.

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back