Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks Viewer for Linux or Android???

Status
Not open for further replies.

superart

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2009
US
I use a desktop to develop my SolidWorks models. When I go offsite to meet with existing or potential clients, I bring along a bunch of printouts to show them the progress or samples from my portfolio. This works OK, but I would ideally like to be able to have a small portable tablet that I can show them an actual 3D file on. I would like the ability to rotate, zoom, etc. with the tablet to show different parts and assemblies.

Yes, I know I can just get a laptop and install the free SolidWorks viewer on it from the website. However, my budget for this is around $300-400 and I really just want a slate type of form factor that is small and compact. The only products with these specs all seem to be either android or some other linux based platform. Also, I find that being able to show and visualize parts with a slate type of device has a certain "wow-factor" with clients, even if it's subliminal. This can often be the difference between getting a project and not.

Does anyone know of a way to view SolidWorks files on either linux or android? I did some searching, and supposedly there's a Java based SolidWorks viewer floating around somewhere, but I have not been able to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you take advanatge of an eDrawings version saved as an html file? That is what I usually use when sending something to a client. They don't need to do anything but have a web browser and enable the add-in or Activex file (one time only).

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back