SolidWorks viewport graphics glitches / artefacts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

driesvervoort

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2011
BE
Hello,

I'm using SolidWorks 2011 Standard on Windows XP 32 bit.
I'm having weird graphical glitches in my SolidWorks viewport lately. I've already gotten them three times this week.
I have added an image (screenshot) so you can see what I am talking about.

I used to be an avid gamer and I remember seeing such things on failing graphic cards or healthy graphic cards with bad drivers.
But my workstation now has a Quadro FX1700 with a certified driver from SolidWorks (version 6.14.11.9754), suitable for my workstation (HP xw4600).

Is my graphic card failing? Is this rather a SolidWorks glitch? Or could overall system setup (OS, hardware, combo...) be the culprit?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S.
System specs:
* Hewlett-Packard HP xw4600 Workstation
* Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
* 2,98 GB RAM (total accessible in Windows 32 bit, 4 GB installed)

greetings,
Dries

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Eltron: The problem doesn't seem to be related to any specific model, although it only occurs in more complex assemblies (NOT anything too fancy with 100s of parts and subassemblies, though).
I've already rolled back the driver to a generic quadro version and did a thorough registry clean. I haven't had the glitch since.
But the glitch is too random so I don't really know how to evoke it deliberately.
I didn't mention this from the start but my workstation is really sluggish as well. Opening assemblies and drawings and especially saving them takes up a lot of time (much more than on my coworkers' workstations, which are pretty much identical, with the exception that they run on a Core 2 Quad CPU (RAM, GC, OS are the same).
Also, when I ran into the glitch for the first time I tried rebuilding (Ctrl+Q). The killed SolidWorks and it quit without popping any error.
I think it might be a combination of things: bad GC (driver) and too low memory. When I open the Windows task manager during intense SolidWorks moments SW's memory allocation easily soares to above 2000MB. On a system that can only access 2.98GB that seems to be pushing it.

greetings,
Dries

@CorBlimeyLimey:

"You appear to have the /3GB switch enabled"
Indeed, I have the 3GB switch enabled.

"do you have the /USERVA=2900 (or similar) also enabled?"
I was not familiar with that particular switch (never heard of it). But I just checked the boot.ini of the Windows bootloader and it says "/userva=2800". What does this doe exactly?

P.S.
Full boot.ini contents:

"
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3Gb Enabled" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3Gb /userva=2800
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
"

greetings,
Dries

@CorBlimeyLimey:

Thank you for the insight provided by that document!

Another question:
Would Windows 7 64 bit with SolidWorks 2011 64 bit on top of it solve most of my problems?

greetings,
Dries

I don't know what "most of your problems" are, but if you are currently running out of RAM, a x64 system with more RAM would definitely improve performance. (NOTE: The /3GB switch should not be used with x64 systems).

An x64 system would not directly decrease the graphics problems, but having more available RAM may help.

Could all be related (I feel like House now)...
The image looks like artifacting (see gamers who overclock their videocard memory) and CPU could be thermal throttling. Do you have some temperature tools installed? If not, install them and look at them when this is occuring. I've seen a bad case fan cause similar trouble. If temp or doubt is high run the case open for a while.

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back