Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks vs SolidEdge 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott4tg

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
US
Let me start by saying I have been using SW since the release of SW2005 and have been very happy. My company has just hired a new manager over the engineering department who seems to think all of our problems could be solved by switching over to SolidEdge. I am asking for opinions from people that have experience in both and the pros and cons for each. We design sliding glass door and window systems as well as hardware and fixturing. My experience is with parts and assemblies. Currently the file structure was set up to model using Weldments which I believe has created most of our problems in SW, eg. poor placement and organization of files used when building assemblies. If this is not the correct place to post, please forgive me. Your opinions will help us sleep better, speaking for the other engineers in my department.

Thanks in advance!

Scott4tg
Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thread559-153968
thread559-121622

I have used both SW and SE, however I must admit my SE experience, although fairly intense, was limited to just a few months.

In terms of design capabilities there is very little difference between the two ... just different ways of achieving the same result.

Paying a SW consultant to implement improvements to your existing methods, would be far cheaper than the cost of buying and learning a new program, and having to convert or re-model the parts and assemblies.

If you can explain the problems in a new thread, maybe the members here could offer solutions.

[cheers]

OP said:
...which I believe has created most of our problems in SW, eg. poor placement and organization of files used when building assemblies.

SE won't fix this. In fact, any switch before organizing files will be painful and cost much productivity.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Scott,

As TheTick said SE, Inventor, ProE or Catia, etc; will not overcome the incorrect use of modeling techniques or for poor file management practices.

SW is not the root of your issues, it the incorrect use of the package that is the root of what you describe as your most serious issues.

Your manager will have the same issues with SE if your company culture is not willing to utilize the best practices for using a 3D modeling software package. Him not recognizing this does not bode well for his management skills.

FWIW,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP2.0ev, Windows Vista
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

>Your opinions will help us sleep better, speaking for the other engineers in my department.

My opinion is that your new manager is incompetent. Not sure how that helps you sleep better. As mentioned, any of the modern CAD programs should do the kind of work you describe with ease. Changing software in itself is not going to fix your current problems - only training identifying the current problems and planning a solution.

CBL, sorry for pulling this even further OT. Peer pressure.

The new manager is probably just more comfortable with SE over SW. Probably can't wrap his brain around the problem because the system is too foreign to him, or he lacks experience. The problem isn't the CAD system, its that interface between keyboard and monitor as others have suggested.

You probably need to sit everyone down that has involvement to the current method of creating, storing, and moving/managing your CAD files and have a meeting on how well or not (sounds like the latter) the system works.

I would include everyone that touches a native files (engineers, designers, drafters, etc) and anyone that supports them (MIS/IT, ECO clerks, shop supervisors, etc). Try to identify better work flow, get sign-off from the new manager and implement it. Several basic questions spring to mind about "all of our problems":

1- Who outside engineering/design has access to native SW files? If there are people, why?

2- How many users of SW is there?

3- Have all of these users attended some form of SW training?

4- Are you using any sort of PDM system that is a SW Solutions Partner? Was there training for this?

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks everyone! Your replies reinforce my believe that our problems won't go away with a different software package, in fact they will multiply! I will post a new thread detailing the file structure so it can be disected.

Thanks again!

Scott4tg

Getting all of your SW users together once a week on SW training/brainstorming/ideas/etc for a couple months will get everyone on the same page and work better together. most issues with any CAD software will go away if everyone creates files the same way.
I agree, switching software will not solve any problems your company may currently have.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 2.0
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back