Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks weld for dummies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCAD

Industrial
Jul 18, 2002
US
Besides the help file is there anyplace I can find some instruction on how to insert a weld bead?
I have tried numerous welds and only 1 worked so far.
Is it worth my effort?

Any thoughts / suggestions / etc...?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah, I'm trying to use the weld feature to make a more realistic assembly drawing and to better estimate the total weight of my assembly.
It looks like I wasn't thinking happy thoughts. Just got back from lunch and tried a weld feature that I had trouble with earlier and it works now.
Still having difficulty with some of the trickier weld joints (only tricky in SW).

Like Scott said, SWX 2004 has some new weldment functionality (a type of multibody part really) that includes a new method for weld bead features.

Problem is, as you pointed out, complex welds don't work very well (in either the old or new way).

If you are really bent on putting weld beads in your weldment, my suggestion is to use incontext parts and build the welds manually. This could take a lot of time and effort though...

I had the same problem. Never could get the welds to work. I just call out the weld on the dwg and leave it at that. Welds do not affect weight much.

Thanks, I've determined that adding welds is too much work for too little benefit. The weld symbols on drawings will have to be sufficient.

As an Aside, with the all-new-all-singing-and-dancing weldment feature can one actually do things like stich welds? In the model that is of course. Its after all a common enough occurence in bog-standard-metal-bashing engineering imho. As we are still on 2001 all our welding details will only be put onto drawings as described by the previous contributors (having to create a seperate part for each weld does make this feature truly prohibitive).

Keep bashing...Jens

"Gimme dat stickwelder, will yer lad. No need to get all fancy wid'those modern drills." Apprenticeship Lesson 61

Since I live in Oregon and many of my friends and relatives are in the timber related industries, I don't really like treehuggers that much as a group, however ;-)

I am not sure that SW will put huge amounts of effort into really souping up the welding features of the software in a hurry. After all only a very small percentage of their total customer base actually models weld beads. Many of those who do welding just call it out on the drawing and always will. Not what you want to hear, but unfortunately the real world, my friend. Just keep banging in the enhancement requests..... 'bout all you can do.

Be naughty - save Santa a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back