Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks World Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMango

Mechanical
May 1, 2001
US
I'm wondering if anyone out there attended SW World this year? I'd like to know what I missed (again), and would interested in you sharing your thoughts about this years event. I heard that next year they might have several locations for SW World. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This was the first time I attended a SolidWorks World event. They run a first class conference.

You missed alot of technical information, a preview of SolidWorks 2004, a night at Magic Kingdom courtesy of HP (7 rides on Space Mountain), networking with some real good people,...

I left being very impressed with SolidWorks' management staff, their outlook on their position in the industry, and the attention they give towards customer input.

Yes, it will be split up into regions next year. Personally I don't care for the idea and hope it goes back to a single event in the future.

This was my second SWW outing. I, too, really enjoyed and benefitted from the event overall. Regarding the tommorowland party, maybe they should have 2 nighttime events, one with unlimited free booze (for which the Tuesday night event is famous), and another more family-friendly event (perhaps in a place comparable to Tomorrowland). I hope next years regional events don't suffer too much from having a smaller representation of the SW community. It's great having the SW employees, the resellers, and users & partners from all over the world together in one place. I can see where growth could eventually make that too much to manage, though. On the bright side, not as much travel will be required for most people. Charley Leonard
CSWP

2Dto3D - I agree that the booze at the Tomarrowland party made for somewhat of a non-family environment. There were some people at the parade that were totally out of hand. If I had my children/family there, I would have been a little upset also.

This was my fifth conference. I always leave feeling that my company spent money well. I epecially like talking and working out issue with the SW people. They seem to genuinely care. As for the night event, I enjoyed it, but thought it was a little lame compared to two years ago (at Universal). As for the kids idea, it was well publicised about being 21 to get it. I personally don't drink, so having a more family friendly environment would be fine.

As for the family event, I don't care one way or the other. The conference is for SW folks to look, learn, educate and be educated. If you bring your family on a company "paid" trip/vacation, then that is your deal. But there were the same "gripes" about last years deal at the Hard Rock too.

As for next year, it is going to STINK (my personal opinion). What is SolidWorks World, without the World? Next year we are having SolidWorks Regional? Bad idea, and I think less of the hard core SW'ers will attend.

And if your travel expenses were high, you did something wrong. If you can't get a cheap ticket to Orlando or Vegas, then you live somewhere where there isn't an airport. As for rooms, I think SW should get the "special" room rate lower than they do. In Vegas last year, if you called 2 months before the event, the "don't mention SW World" rate at the Mirage was cheaper than if you did.

Oh well...
Mr. Pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back