Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solutions for U.S. Unemployment and the Loss of Manufacturing Jobs: 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
This debate makes me think that a point has been missed here.
The world turns, life moves on.
I guess somewhere in the world they still make steam trains. They did in China long after Britain stopped. Same with cotton and wool and lots of other things.
Each time some industry came to a halt some one lobbied parliament, introduced new taxes or tried to do something about it. Early on it was the ludites breaking the machines that ultimately went somewhere else anyway.
Britain used to produce lots of coal. It doesn't now. It probably should have stopped long before it did.
Hanging on to the past for its own sake is a real handicap when what you should be doing is looking forward to the future and adapting.
As usual with success, when the cruch comes there are a lot of people dependent on an industry who wake up to find coal is imported or replaced by gas, cotton is cheaper from India or China, no body makes steam trains any more, and some one makes ships but fewer and fewer in the UK. It doesn't mean the UK is no longer a maritime power. It may not make many ships, it may not own many or operate many. Ships are going to be dirt cheap from China very soon as Korea, in its turn, loses out to another Asian country. But the Uk is still a maritime power with significant influnce because it uses its 300 yer knowledge in a new way. It makes pretty good money at it. A lot more per person employed than it did when the merchants traded round the world, i would guess. It is tough on the shipworkers. It is always tough on the workers in any industry when it ups stakes and moves somewhere else.
Life is. Things change. Governments never helped anything or anyone, they just meddle and make things worse. If engineering is going somewhere else there isn't too much to do about it. It's some one elses turn to make cotton, or engines, cars or whatever. Sooner or later everyone will have had a turn at making steam engines. Accept and move on.
Personally, i like steam trains, traction engines, clipper ships and so on. I just don't make my living at it.
The best thing we can take from our culture is the learning and put it to a better use.
People want cheap goods. Companies want to make profits. Nothing is going to change that.
Sooner or later those start up skills are shared and there is no longer any exclusivity and there is always someone who can make it cheaper or better. All you can do is make life miserable for yourself and someone else by trying to hold back the tide of change; or you can see if you can work out what the future will be and latch on with both hands or take a hand at helping the world along. There is always something else. The US isn't going to collapse. The UK hasn't. There will just see a lot of unhappy engineers for a while. What's new?
Was it St Ignatius Loyola who said "Let me not try to change those things i cannot change but let me not shirk from trying to change the things i can change and grant me the wisdom to know the difference."?

I have seen in a couple of posts that Government does not impact manufacturing in the US or elsewhere.

I disagree - major factors above and beyond wages are the environmental restrictions/laws existing in the US. We must work under severe diasadvantage compared to all other manufacturing countries. The environment must be protected EVERYWHERE and not just in the US.

YES GOVERNMENT CAN INFLUENCE --If our govt. would not allow import of any product made in countries where the environmental constraints do not equal ours we might be able to compete on a level playing field. Idealistic I know!!! It'll never happen.

It seems very unfortunate that well meaning special interest groups (environmentalists) are major contributers to the demise of a GREAT and PRODUCTIVE country.

Environmental laws in the US are a major constraint to our engineering and industrial future. While the rest of the world has fewer or NO constraints regarding the environment.

Ietech-
Who is the largest polluter in the world?
Answer - USA!

"While the rest of the world has fewer or NO constraints regarding the environment."

Does USA have the toughest environmental regulations in the world?
Answer - No!

Which country is trying to stop most world wide environmental agreements?
Answer - USA!

It seems to me that a lot of people are missing the most important issue associated with losing jobs in the US. The rest of the world has to sell to us. We're the market. How many $125 sneakers do you think they sell in China?

And economies run on confidence. If the job loss situation makes the American consumer nervous spending will drop and the whole world could end up in recession. It happened in 1929 and it can happen again. Globalization means everyone's in the same boat.

QCE, AKA Greenhouse Gas Guy/Gal

Where do you get your information? I suspect that such a broad statement like "The USA is the world’s largest polluter" is not based on fact. I assume you are thinking specifics and making generalized statements.

Are you saying that when considering all sources of pollution that USA creates more than any other country? Is this on a per pound basis, or based on some weighted harm to the environment index?

Or, are you saying per capita or per acre, USA creates more pollution.

Or, are you are referencing greenhouse gases and potential harm indicated by the dubious global climate computer models. I remember the global cooling scare a few years back being promoted by many scientists who are now yelling global warming. Scientists do not get grants from government agencies by saying we don’t know what we are talking about.

QCE, have you been outside of a hotel room in any major cities in a third world country?

From my personal first-hand observation, USA has cleaner air, water, and land than most countries in the world.

Sorry eng-tipsters for being off topic; however, I cannot let the greenies continuously emit misinformation. I believe it pollutes the truth.

QCE:

I have only expressed an opinion based on observation of, primarily steel, our companies could not afford to upgrade their older mills and remain competitive worldwide -- so they closed. Thus cheap steel from elsewhere.

Per-Capita we are not the worst polluter in the world.

Lumber we cannot even cut our own forests responsibly - until recently not even to prevent fires in known fire suceptable sreas -- no thinning allowed. Thus lumber from elsewhere.

As stated above just my humble opinion --- guess everyone has one. I have no oficial sources to refer you to other than the daily news -- CNN has frequently covered these issues as have discovery and history channels

Your statements are very confident and pointed as if you have the ability to substantiate them --- Please share your sources, maybe I can learn something new. Maybe a comprehensive web site covering these issues.

Would you also say that we participate in allowing sweatshops, child labor, and prisoner labor in the USA. Maybe we are worse in those areas also --- My opinion: I THNK NOT.

We should do away with all international agreements where we are bearing the ultimate share of the load or we should place penalties on importers who are not willing to comply with agreements that they sign with us. Get rid of NAFTA and WTO and quit underwriting the success of other countries with our tax dollar.

Make the playing field level ---- Bring the JOBS BACK.

Thank you for your comprehensive comments

ietech

Well I'm sure we could argue for along time about this, this is not the place.

My main point is:

"While the rest of the world has fewer or NO constraints regarding the environment."

Does USA have the toughest environmental regulations in the world?
Answer - No!

You were the one that made the general statement that is inaccurate. I'm sorry but I think you will have to find another scapegoat for job losses. I'm thinking you should be looking at greed.

CRG, you can call me a greenie and I can call you a redneck but what would be the point? Name calling usually comes up when someone can't back their arguement.

America's Christmas is "Made in China". A look at why so many Americans are buying Chinese goods shows a simple reality that consumers want more for less and China can produce it. This appears in an article by Peter S Goodman in The Washington Post.

He gives an example of an artificial Christmas tree manufactured in China for 10 $ and sold to a trading company for 12$booking a profit of 10%(very reasonable). Trading company sells to retailers who put it on their shelves which fetches them 120$.

Now my question is who has made the money? Not the Chinese manufacturer or trader, but the American MNC.

QCE:

Due to your response I assume you were unable to substantiate your views or at least state your opinion more thoroughly.

Thanks for unilaterally deciding that this is not the place to express ones views about this thread, kinda fits.

Not a general statement --- just my opinion related to possible solutions to the job problem. I cannot validate these thoughts with study results since I haven't found any, other than the daily news occasionally covers these issues.

The title of this thread is: Solutions for U.S. Unemployment and the Loss of Manufacturing Jobs. In my humble OPINION some possible solutions are, as stated in my posts --- environmental laws should be relaxed or all countries should be required to meet the same constraints as the US.

Countries using child labor, prisoner labor or allowing sweatshops should be banned from importing products to the US.

NAFTA and WTO should be ended.

US government should ensure a level playing field for the Engineers and, yes all working folks in the US. If manufacturing is gone so is a major part of the engineering.

I agree with your statement that greed is a contributor to the problem. That's one problem I personally don't have a clue how to solve. I don't think we can pass a law against greed, although it would be nice, even if it wouldn't be enforceable.

I am a border line isolationist and will be until I see our government try to give the US a fair shot at competing by ensuring that all countries play by the same rules.

Thanks for your point of view,

ietech

Arunmrao:

Sorry --- American MNC???? What's that?

Good point but only part of the story.

Don't forget the export fees the Chinese gov't. places on the product before it is shipped, Oh yea how about the shipping costs, the warehousing costs, marketing costs, distribution costs, and others before it gets to the consumer. By the way $120 is a pretty high end tree. I purchased a six foot Chinese produced tree last year for $69.00/US. Looked for an American made one to no avail.

Thanks

ietech

My main point here is that I think your arguement about environmental restrictions as a scapegoat for job loses is weak.

I personnally belief that we can take care of the environment and have jobs.

My information is from university lectures and not from bias news agencies. (People can save their breath by writing in and saying that university lecturer's are biased as well.) Can you find a more redneck and rightwing source for your news?

Greenie Guy

well i think the problem is not with any of the system. It's just that certain things like success, wealth have gone into USAn's, the result of which are showing up with the quality of education the people there have. Overall, the culture which is too open for anything be it education, marriage, work are the ones hampering the system. Sometimes a cultural change (or control with lesser aggression) would also benefit the progress of the indiviualistic society. Engineering outsourcing could be used to benefit the USAn system and economy if used diligently. The government should have a strong policy of not letting foreign students who stay back and work out of USA. They need to get back to their countries. Also, giving visas for education should be reduced.

This way USA would help in :
1. Imparting world class education to its own students.
2. Also help in other countries retain their students and open up venues and areas which could be mutually beneficial.
3. Refrain from these foreign students staying back to work out of USA after the education. (some of them find ways by getting married to USAn's or people from their own countries having valid visas, which should be stopped)

If the student inflow and inlux is reduced and stern rules laid out, there would a econmical rebounce and stability, which would help USA and countries like India and China which are primary / principal business partners to USAn companies

An earlier post mentioned high Corp exec salaries and bennies as being "criminal" -- which, of course, and unfortunately for the other employees, it is not.

It is, however, greedy and selfish and egotistical -- and therefore IMO sinful.

I believe that somehow exec remuneration should be tied to corp assets and profits. The special "golden parachutes" and term contracts etc not available to all other non-contract employees should be illegal. There are probably many other fixes which do not come immediately to my hurried and frazzled mind right now.

The progressive income tax was a good idea which helped mine the very wealthy for more government dollars. Its a simple concept: The more one makes, the more non-essential "discretionary" income they have. This is income that can be taxed at a high rate without causing a hardship on the taxee.

But what has been going on for the last 20 years? Leveling of the income tax, making it less progressive, and pushing for a FLAT tax - ie fully regressive!

That trend needs to be reversed. It only benefits those who need govt benefits the least. Probably because the Congress-critters have managed to maneuver themselves into those high-income categories.

I have more sympathy for rattlesnakes. They can't help being what they are.

Several folks have mentioned limiting the number of foreign students who stay in the US after attending college as a positive step toward reducing the loss of US jobs.

This logic seems flawed to say the least.

1) Attending a US university is competitive - only the best foreign students make it in.

2) Once admitted to our university system these students study extremely hard and excel. The discipline required in making it to college, the higher cost of attending college, and the knowledge that this may be their "one chance" are great motivating factors.

3) They come to the US because the quality of the US educational system at the post-secondary level is recognized all over the world as being exceptional. The best professors are teaching them.

4) They graduate as some of the most disciplined motivated students taught by the best professors in the best post-secondary educational system. They go on to earn high salaries, engineer new products, invent new technologies, start businesses and generally outperform less motivated graduates.

....So which of you guys wants to send them home?
We need the MVPs on our team.

-colin

colinP,
You might or might not be correct in your opinions about foreign students. But the FACT remains: every slot taken by a foreign student is one less US student being educated.

Now, this might be OK for privately funded schools. That is their prerogative in a free society. However, I DO have a problem with publicly funded schools accepting a significant number of foreign students since they are supported by tax dollars which IMO should be used for Americans. Actually, even private schools get significant govt money, which weakens my first sentence.

I believe our Constitution was written to provide for the welfare of US citizens not the whole world.

Cheers,

Colinp, your strategy is the exact one that Australia has used (and will continue to use) for skilled immigration. While I have my doubts whether it is really ethical to offer the talent from other less fortunate countries a chance to live in a country with a benign environment and excellent work prospects, that's what we do.

Now, if USA'n graduates are afraid/unable/unwilling to compete with, or make use of, these people, well, that says something to me.

If you gave me a boatload of engineering graduates who had the guts to get on that boat in the first place, and the ability to get into an advanced degree, then I could think of a hundred things to do with them, and the future prosperity of Australia Inc would be enhanced, not reduced.

Cheers

Greg Locock

okay here is an example of classic outsourcing having amazing complications to a country

#1 britain outsourced its handgrenades to switzerland, and in the run up to the gulf war 2, switzerland refused to supply them as they said they were only for defensive purposes only. There bloody handgrenades

Similar goes for tank rouunds, scotland produced a self burning disposalbe sabot and shell case that when fired the casing burns in the chamber. The order was given to a south african firm, who had not produced it, but guarenteed they could come the war the tanks were woefully short of rounds, and had to be supplied with inferior products that caued damage to hun barrels.

now what happens if your country is buying critical components from outside its borders and relations turn suddenly sour. who supples you then?

bruceP;

I am reproducing the total annual cost of education per annum in different countries as published by Canadian Educaton Centre
a) Canada 18641$ b)United kingdom 32045$ c) USA 43451$ d) Australia 21417$ and e) France 15472$

This low cost of international education makes it attractive
for the less talented students to get an international degree. Colleges conduct fairs and seminars to attract students and on the spot admissions are offered. This makes international education a commodity which can be accessed by those who have the money power.( I am sending my son to Canada next year for BS Engg program)

The barriers for entrance are drastically reduced, virtually making a mockery of education. In India the exceptionally bright students get admitted to IITs. These are the best talent pool available at no cost to USA. It is unfortunate that 90% of them leave India for better career opportunities to USA.

The others who come to USA for education are really not of much concern to us and in a way solve our employment problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back