Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solve FE model error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcoll

Mechanical
Oct 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm new to FE modelling and analysis in IDEAS.
When I attempt to solve an FE model (having set boundary conditions, loadings etc...) the following error appears:

"nbb.exe is not a valid NT application"

I'm running MS8 with NT4-service pack6A.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? or can anyone provide any insight towards correcting it / getting around it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

None of the previously detailed suggestions worked (thanks anyway), same error being reported:

"nbb.exe is not a valid NT application"

Obviously MS8 is supported by NT, so where's the problem???
Do you, or anyone else, have any other suggestions?

Cheers.

I too suffered the same problem with nbb.exe errors running FEA, and after upgrading graphics card thought that it would be solved. However not so!

Try this though, it all works fine for me now :-D...

go into your display properties, click on the settings tab and then the advanced button. Then manually turn down the level of hardware acceleration that your graphics card supplies. It should work if it is turned down a couple of nothces, if not all the way.

Although technically i don't fully understand why this works, i think it is something to do with disabling the direct draw and direct 3d applications (affected by directX).

Hope this helps..

don't forget to turn performance back up afterwards when not using FEA otherwise other graphically rich applications will suffer a drop in performance.

Thanks for your tip Cheekymonkey82!

Gave it a go, unfortunatly my situation has not changed, I still stumble at the same point with the same error.

What operating system were you running when this worked for you??? Was it NT4???

Cheers.

@ Cheekymonkey82

As a result of your last post I spent some of the weekend setting up a fresh partition with win2K Pro with you fix applied.

I still get the same error, albeit expressed in a slightly different fashion. All the latest drivers and service packs are loaded.

I've done some extended searching and reading, and located some additional tips on memory etc, my graphics card (Matrox G550)also gets a mention and the fix recommended applied.

What puzzles me is, when I double click on NBB.exe fron NT, XP or 2K it always produces an error. Generally if you double click an executable it either runs, produces a DOS box or does nothing !!! Which makes me think I have a dodgy file.

Do you think I could ask you to click on yours, don't have any programmes open, and report back.

Thanks

Hi mcoll!

i did it for ya, but i get another problem:
i get the error msg: "unable to locate AT_OUT_FILE environment variable" , and then runtime error....

may be you could know what that means?

10x
Viper

nbb problem may has two ways to fix it:eek:ne is downgrade the hardware acceleration,the other is to do some changing on ur memory setting.althought i still can't fully understand why these work,but i do get cross the nbb problem with these two ways separately.(one failed,maybe the other will work)
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back