Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solvent bonding thermoplastics with cyclohexanone mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRickert

Bioengineer
Oct 10, 2011
US
We routinely bond PVC tubing to thermoplastic components using solvent. We use primarily cyclohexanone and dichloromethane. We have been experiencing some issues with cracking when bonding PVC tubing to polycarbonate components. We have identified that the cyclohexanone is the chemical which is causing the issues as it relieves molded in stress from the plastic part. Cyclohexanone is used in the mixture as a lubricant to allow the plastic tubing to be easily inserted into the plastic part. This assembly is done manually.

I am wondering if anyone can provide some help identifying another solvent that could take the place of the cyclohexanone in our mixture.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sabic and Bayer will both publish Technical Data Sheets fe gluing PC.

From memory both recommend dichloromethane. I think acetone is also suitable.Acetone certainly works with PVC.

PC is exceptionally bad to aromatic hydrocarbons and most chlorinated hydrocarbons.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Pat's right that solvents and PC don't get along well.

If I read right, you add the cyclohexanone as a lubricant. Could you use a water-based lubricant? That would have the best chance to work and not ruin the PC. Try for example polyethyleneglycol in water or other water-based lubricant.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Hello JRickert,
Could you please expand a bit? What grade of PC are you using? And are you flexible PVC tubing? DEHP? DEHP-Free? if so which plasticizer does your tubing has?

JorgeEspinosa,

We are using Bayer's RX1805 Medical grade PC with flexible DEHP PVC tubing. I am checking on the plasticizer. It is a material sourced from Poly One and extruded at Colorite.

When bonding a material to another piece of the same material you should be able to get very good strength because the polymer chains will mix and entangle. The strength of plastics come from entanglements.

When bonding two dissimilar materials you will probably get much poorer adhesion strength. The reason is that dissimilar polymers do not mix on a molecular level 99 times out of 100. So the chains will not mix and entangle with each other across the bond.

Chris DeArmitt
Plastic Training Webinars since 2003
visit:

The DOP in the flexible vinyl will eventually crack polycarbonate that has any molded stress in it. You need to use a barrier glue to bond the two together. Baxter does it with an glue they make internally, that I developed when I was there, 20 years ago. I think they still use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back