Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

solvents in the positive pressure air

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsyrett725

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2012
US
A couple years ago we were having some cutting issues on our mazak spacegear 510. the tech had mentioned that he smelt paint fumes(half our shop is paint) and they can cause ballooning of the beam if it got into the air supply. This wasn't the issue at the time as our main compressor is vented outside. Currently they are installing a secondary compressor down in paint. this one wont be vented outside. I have raised my concerns but the CEO wants more info before he decided if we have to vent it outside or any special filters or air prepossessing we could use or if standard air dryer will take out the air born solvents.

anyone have any info or experience with this?

Thanks in advance
Garry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have paint or chemicals, it would be better to take the air from outside to avoid some weird cutting issues. Other option is to use nitrogen (usually more expensive).

If you're talking about the main airline going to the machine I would highly suggest getting that fixed ASAP. We just encountered oil in our airline for the first time and it caused a residue to build up on the focal lens during operation..... and the lens pretty much exploded. Cost us a pretty penny to get fixed.

Its not hooked in yet. I've raised a concern about it because The tech had mentioned it a few years ago. But we have a bunch of time into installing the new compressor and the CEO wants more info on it before he makes any changes to the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back