Some equipment for taking density tests on field, good and quick results. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ale_Hideki

Civil/Environmental
Jul 2, 2019
JP
Hi guys,

I am searching some equipment for taking density test on field and until now, I just found Replacement Sand Test, Dynamic Cone Penetrometer and Radio Isotopic Moisture-Density Test (Nuclear Gauge), but I would like to know if you know some other equipment. However, if there is no other equipment, which of these equipment that I mentioned it is good to purchase in terms of quality of results and cost benefit?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm going to take the path less travelled on this one - Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP).

It takes experience to get a feel for the probe penetration rate and what is implied by it, but a big advantage is that you can obtain results (albeit only an indication) immediately- you do not require laboratory density test results.

The DCP can also penetrate to depth, as opposed to nuclear gauge and sand replacement tests which can only be carried out on the exposed layer.

With that being said, if you were testing road pavement layers for example, you would never use a DCP in isolation since it does not provide the accuracy required for layer acceptance.

DCP equipment is relatively cheap, but ultimately you would want a nuclear gauge to go with it.

All the best,
Mike

Somewhere in one of the rooms there is a post asking experience with a Speedy moisture tester. It's been around for maybe a hundred years in the foundry industry to get moisture of the molding sand to be just right to stay put. It works in a few minutes. That's usually the part of the job (other than nuc) needing rapid results. Another is the "heel" test. Once you know the general characteristics of your fill, jab your heel in. Takes many years of experience first. I've used a 1/2" diameter steel rod fitted with handle. Push-with full body weight and it does work, but needs an experienced guy. It is usually used along with other tests so you can check a wide area before going to a more suitable test method where the rod probe shows more penetration, meaning less likely to pass the spec.

Thank you and ! According to your comments, I am gonna study this method DCP, seeing some videos about carrying out of this test, it looked like practical, simple and being able to carry out when the layers of pavements are already backfilled.

Thank you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back