Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something like a PEM except 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chassisdeeziner

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2003
US
Folks,

I'm looking for a product that is essentially an alignment pin that stakes into sheet metal (like the ubiquitous PEM). PEM makes a "TPS" product, but the diameter is too large for my application. Anyone know of a company that makes such a product with diameters in the 0.100" range?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you asked PEM if they will make a different size for you? It is such a simple product for them to make - perhaps they only advertise the regular sizes as standard products, but they would make another size for you (for a small cost penalty).

If PEM won't make them for you, here are two other companies that can:

Textron Fastening Systems ( - ask about their Strux products

ATF ( - ask about their Rifast products)

I have pem brand alignmment pins , (much like the FH type studs) that are aprox (3mm or .118) or (.125) as well, the first being a metric size .They are type (three letter designation code) TPS and their reference name is a "Flush Mounted Self Clinching Pilot Pin" , and I love these things for jigs and fixtures etc... I can use my NC Punchpress to punch the pilot hole with .002 or .003 of an inch accuracy , and that is usually pleanty good for most operations (for us anyway) and I have never been disappointed . I also use standoffs for the same purpose , when I need a huskier pin ,because we have drewer after drawer of varrious sizes , but those are .166 to .281 dia. I think , as I am home now and have no catalogs with in reach. Check it out if you have yet to solve your problem. It may be that you cant live with the extra .025 of an inch as I think you stated .100 dia . if so , sorry and ignore this . (or in the words of Emily Letella "Ohhh thats very different........ Nevermind" )

ciao for now
Jeff C

P.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back