Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound protection for gear pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

themroc

Chemical
Sep 7, 2006
GB
We are using a gear pump in a research Lap in order to pump thermal oil for a test rig with different rotational speeds.
At high gear speed the sound of the pump motor is quiet loud.
Does anyone know companies which offer sound protections (probably pump encapsulations) in order to reduce the loudness of the pump?
Or is it advisable to design a kind of contaiment ourself. There are probably major implications with respect of cooling air flow for the motor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect containment alone will not sufficiently reduce the sound level.
You will have to mount the motor/pump combination on vibration isolators to reduce vibration transmission to the pump support structure.
Connect hose instead of hard plumbing to the pump to reduce vibration transmission to the circuit.
Very little heat transfer occurs from the pump to the air, that should not be a concern. If you have the pump directly driven by an electric motor, cooling the motor would be a concern.

Ted

If, as I suspect, most of the noise is radiating from the gear housing, not the motor, you might be able to axially displace the motor from the pump, insert a rubber joint or two, and acoustically isolate the pump (yes, with rubber hoses too), without covering or cooking the motor.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks for your answers.
Just a comment. We use a flexible corrugated SS metal hose to connect from the gear pump to the rest of the tubing. We can not use normal hose due to the fact that we have got up to 15 bar pump pressure.

I will have a look whether decoupling is possible. But the pump gear housing assembly looks quiet compact I am not sure whether it is possible to decouple it?

I'm guessing that you are using a pump involving meshing spur gears. These are always noisy. If you replace the pump with a "Gerotor" type, the noise level will be reduced dramatically. In moderately noisy industrial situations, I've known this type of pump to be so quiet that it was necessary to check gauges or view the shaft to determine whether the pump was actually running while operating at pressures far greater than 15 bar.

I would not be surprised to find that this will be less costly than trying to silence your noisy pump.

Fabricate a "dog house" lined internally with 1" thick mineral wool or fiberglass insulation and put it over the offending equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back