Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Source for 36,000 RPM electric motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobfarmer

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2005
US
Does anyone know of a source for a 36,000 RPM electric motor about 40 HP [30kw].

Thanks

Bob Farmer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Talk to Kompositprodukter in Vikmanshyttan, Sweden. They make motors like that. Water cooled with PM rotor and carbon fibre/epoxy composite sleeve to hold rotor together. And, yes Smoked, you are right, for compressors for fuel cells. They have made motors running at 80 000 RPM.

Gunnar Englund

Man, I'd like to hear one!

What kind of diameter wpuld a 40Hp motor be?

What are they compressing for fuel cells, Hydrogen? Oxygen?

Is this to force the gas thru the membrane for higher conversion rates?

Smoked,

The compressors are for the air supply and are there to speed up the process. Fuel cells for busses and other large vehicles do not need a compressor since the membranes can be made with a large surface. There is no room for such large surfaces in a little car. So a compreessor is used instead.

I am not so sure about the diameter of the motor. The 30 000 RPM motors that I have seen have 5 or 6 kW output and are the size of a grape-fruit. It seems that the cooling occupies almost half the volume - the electric and magnetic parts are quite small.

I have tried to find an English text from them, but could not find it.

Gunnar Englund

Try Revolve Magnetic Bearings an SKF company. They build high speed motors for machine tool spindles. We balance many parts for them. Located in Calgary AB Canada.

have you considered non-electric motive power.
We are working on a bladeless, vaneless turbine which could be scaled up to produce 40 HP at 36,000 rpm using the fuel you currently use, hydrogen, propane, methane, etc.
Let us know if we can help

What kind of torque are you expecting. I know of a VFD that will output 600Hz. Also, at Tinker AFB I have sold and properly commissioned VFDs that are now operating upwards of 18000RPM.

If you can live with 5.835 ft-lb of FLT at the motor shaft, you might be able to get away with it. If you expect the motor to deliver 40HP equivalent torque at 36,000RPM, you would need a 400HP motor I believe...and you are not likely to find one at all that any manufacturer of induction motors is going to rubberstamp your running one of their motors at that speed as there are simply too many (potentially very dangerous) unknowns...there is simply too much rotating mass there in my opinion to be reliable in a cast iron frame, much less safe.

There is a German company named "Spindell" or similar that produces VFD's and motors for high speed router heads. They used to have a district office in Grand Rapids Michigan USA but I believe it closed and the people were moved to the East Coast USA (seems like Connecticut or Massachusetts).

They were operating above 80000rpm when I talked to them about 2 years ago.

AT 30Kw and 36000 RPM, you require 8NM torque.IF thats OKay you can try KAVO germany( can try EV 13580-4 a 4 pole motor which can give your performance @ 600HZ.There a company in INDia AShwath Electric (Ashelec_Ksiyer@rediffmail.com) that has done 15KW @ 24000 RPM.

Bob I think it is unlikely that you will find an off-the-shelf machine. The suppliers mentioned above (and I don't think there is anyone missing!) have experience but this type of motor is certainly application specific. At that sort of speed details such as method of coupling (related to balance), cooling, bearing design and the type of electronic drive become critical and there is no real standard solution that will work across the relatively small number of applications out there.

Sorry to put a damper on it but unless you have a potential market that would justify the considerable amount of engineering required to get it going, it may be better to go with eemotors suggestion - high speed gears. My experience is with very high-speed turbo-alternators rather than motors, but the problems are much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back