Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Source for 36,000 RPM electric motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobfarmer

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2005
US
Does anyone know of a source for a 36,000 RPM electric motor about 40 HP [30kw].

Thanks

Bob Farmer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks to all who responded. We however have reached the same conclusion as UKpete. No one seems to have what we need off the shelf and if one is to be built specifically for this project we will do that in house.

Bob Farmer

Bob - you can certainly get help and components from some of the links mentioned. If I may give you my opinion - the 4-pole permanent magnet rotor brushless ac machine with hybrid bearings (ceramic ball) is a good starting point.

Calnetix (as mentioned by sreid) are worth talking to, they were a major supplier to one company I worked for, the product being a 100kW 90krpm 4-pole PM alternator with oil bearings. They do in-house both the PM rotors (including the retention sleeve - critical technology, they own the DuPont carbon-fibre process) and the stators, but beware of using magnetic bearings as that is a long-term development.

We do magnetic bearings and high speed starter-generators. We were just looking to lighten our work load if a suitable unit were available.

Thanks again,

Bob Farmer

Synchrony Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back