Southern Mississippi Construction Engineering Technology degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlo101

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2015
US
Hi,

I am MEP draftsman with 13 yrs experience and plus one year of doing civil and architecture drafting. I am at cross roads right now because people in my line of work are being phased out in a lot firms across this nation. I need to make an career change. I want to get into the construction engineering/management side of the AEC industry because I like being out in the field and in the office at times.

Does it. seem like an decent degree to go after? I have to go the distance learning route because it is hard to get into my local university engineering program because of my work schedule. Has anybody graduated from this program or heard any reviews about it? I would appreciate any feedback...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ABET accreditation is definitely a plus! As you can see from the link SlideRuleEra posted, there aren't many ABET accredited distance learning programs. This is primarily a function of how ABET accredits programs and which programs the schools have accredited. Fact they have put the time and effort into have the program accredited by ABET says something about the value the school has devoted to the program. I don't think any university would put the resources into accrediting a program unless it was a good program with proven potential for the students/graduates.

I'm not familiar with the university or the program, but the degree seems it would help you get your foot in the door with what you want to do. Earning your degree at a distance is challenging, especially if you are working full time and have a family...but if it's what you need to get where you want to be, then go for it. I assume you already have all of the pre-requisite classes out of the way and will just be doing a BS completion? If not, it will likely take you considerable time to complete the program. Working full time, you will likely only be able to complete 3-6 hours per semester, maybe 9 if you don't want to do anything besides work, school and sleep (probably in that order).

@jpankask

Unfortunately I have to go the distance learning route because it is hard for my take classes that are only offered in the day time at my local school. This degree is also accredited by the ACCE which all construction management programs adhere too. I have all my pre-requisite done and ready to declare an major. I was thinking the same thing that 9 hrs would the max and 12 the extreme. My boss doesn't think this degree is worth it because I can not get license as a PE here in my state cause they don't recognize it. Cause it's a tech degree. Construction management and the construction industry is where I want to be and not in a design firm.

I agree that the degree would not be acceptable in most states as the prerequisite to a PE license, but that doesn't mean the degree is not worth it. Is a PE license common for a construction manager? I haven't had any experience in that field, nor know anyone, so I can't say. Just because a particular degree program doesn't lead to a PE license, if it's not required, and the degree can open up doors for you, then it may not matter. There is a very large percentage of degreed engineers who never get their PE license and never work in a field where it is required, or even desired. I would think construction engineering would be one of those fields where a PE license can be useful for credibility...but where you would never actually use that license to certify anything. As a construction manager, you won't be providing direct oversight of the designs, so that PE function will be fulfilled by someone else.

jpankask,

No an PE is not required for an construction manager but it is very helpful and that is what I have discovered in my research and also talking to others who has worked in that field.

If obtaining a PE is another goal you have, then you will need to find an ABET accredited engineering program, not a technology program. There are a few states that will license engineers who hold an engineering technology degree, with additional experience, but then you are limited to only being licensed in those states, as other states will not grant you reciprocity.

From what I've seen, a PE hardly does a lick of good for 99 percent of construction management jobs out there. An engineering degree or construction management degree is nearly required, though, if you want to start as a "field engineer" for most of the large contractors out there that will pay you in the same league as a real engineer. If you can, considering all the time and effort involved, an engineering degree is FAR superior than a technology degree in just about every aspect of what a degree is and what it can/should do for your career. I'm not knocking technology degrees - in fact it was what I preferred when I was looking, but my local university didn't offer construction management degrees, so I was "stuck" with an engineering major. I can't tell you how glad I am that it turned out the way it did, because I ended up not wanting to work for a contractor and would hate my life if I was stuck doing it - which I would be with construction management degree. I was already out there in the world making 50K a year at a job I didn't like anymore before I went to college. It was worth every dollar lost and borrowed.

Terratek,

Trust me I would love putting in the time and getting my BSME and being an HVAC Engineer but it is hard fitting those classes around my job schedule, heck even the construction management programs here in my city are the same way. So therefore I am going the distance learning route as I have stated before. Plus with this degree it will get me in the door at most A/E and construction firms around here. Also, this degree is Abet and ACCE accredited. I am not looking to getting into design in where an PE is required my goal is construction management.

You should think this through a little more. Which do you actually want: A degree in mechanical engineering or a degree in construction management? From your last post it sounds like you're "settling" for a degree in CM because it's the more convenient degree. There's nothing wrong with being a CM (I have an MSCE with specialization in CM). As a CM you can earn as much with or without a PE. Presently, I'm in a design office but 40+% of my time is dealing with construction matters. I enjoy it. If I could I would go back to a full-time field position in a heart beat but I have a very long commute so it's more practical to be in a central location.

The question to ask yourself: Will I be happy as a CM? Don't invest 4+ years of your life and a lot of $$$ in something that isn't going to make you happy.

There are online ME programs, as you probably know; they might be worth looking into. I have the impression you can't drop out of the work force to pursue a degree full-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back