Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

space ball 3d controller? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2001
CA
Does anyone use such a device? They are selling regularly on ebay for less than $100. Retail is over $500. So either they are complete garbage or they are just overpriced.

I am looking to reduce some wrist strain, and this seems to be a good device for that.

Thanks

Gerry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm curious about those things too... and a little sceptical.
On the one hand:
Unless I need to simultaneously rotate and modify my model, why do I need one of these?
I have a wireless/optical Microsoft IntelleMouse Explorer That's the best thing I've done to reduce wrist strain and overall comfort.
On the other hand:
I'm a gadget guy and darn-it if they don't look cool.
They're probably fun to play with too.
I'm thinking of asking our VAR to send us one to try-out for a month.
[conehead]
Consume mass quantities...
tatej@usfilter.com

A collegue if mine uses a space ball all the time. he is wery pleased with it. He is mainly using it with the left hand , and using the mouse with the right hand.
It has some buttons that is assigned to corresponding buttons on the regular keyboard he uses, like CTRL etc.

I think he bought it for approxemately 600-700$, but that´s some 5 years ago.

I use a spaceball myself. My company purchased it when we bought Catia in which it is a must almost. We also run Solidworks and I use it there also. It is a bit cumbersome at first but really works nice. Your screen orientation can become a bit messed up it you use both the spaceball and the center mouse button. We paid arout $550 for it 2.5 years ago. If you get one you will love it.

I use a FLX-4000 Spaceball from 3D Connexion and would not give it up. You can program the buttons to for use in a part file or an assembly file and the device knows which kind of file it is operating in. It does take a little getting use to, but in the long run you will be saving alot of time by not having to find icons or look at the keyboard to find the short-cut keys.

Yep, they are all that and a bag of chips IMHO. I bought 2 from eBay. Both 2003's. Yes old indeed. However, they both worked fine. They have 9 buttons that as stated are "document sensitive". So you reall get 27 buttons depending on how you set the device up. As stated you will need a day or 2 to "train the mind" to use both hands. However, after you get over that hill I suspect you will wonder how you ever got by w/o one. I managed to get both of mine for $30.00 each. From eBay. These things go way beyond just being able to rotate and select at the same time. I.E. you can: rotate, pan, zoom AND select at the same time. As well as move parts in asm's on the control of the spaceball. Also is my favorite, you can grab something and drag with the mouse AND move with the spaceball. How many times have you had to click and drag something to some place not visible on the screen (due to zoom or whatever)? I can grab something and while holding the item to drag can pan/zoom the model as needed. W/o spaceball you would have to possibly, gab drag to edge of screen then zoom out, and do it all over again. ACK!! This feature alone makes it very worthwhile IMHO. This situation happens a lot when sketching in/on large models. Working in one area and suddenly you need to drag something to the other side of the model. PITA! w/o spaceball/mouse. After I had mine set up. I got to the point where I only use the keyboard to enter numbers.

Regards,

Sean F
seanf@newing-halll.com
There is 1 to many l's in the email. Fix to respond.

OK - before I buy one of these...
I borrowed one from my VAR to try it out.
Holymotherofpearl! I'm out of control!
Been using it for half a day and all I can to is laugh at my inaility to do anything more than a high-speed fly-by.
Yea, sure, once in a while I can get a small subtle movement, but mostly I get vertigo.
I'll keep it up for at least a week.
Here I go again... yaaaaaa![rofl]
[conehead]
tatedeleteredj@usfilter.com

I have one and love it too! Using it is as simple as holding the model in hand. Rotating it is really natural. And another good thing is that you can use it to manipulate your design during all commands active. For example you cannot rotate your model when editing dimension value but 3D mouse allows you to rotate during that time.

So what does this "inspector" cost. You have sparked my interest. However, they are closed for the day. I would like
to know what they cost. If you don't mind.

TIA,

Sean F
seanf@newing-halll.com
1 2 many l's in the email.

I use a 3DConnexion Magellan & love it. Couldn't imagine working without it. It takes about 2 weeks to get used to it. Use the programmable buttons & you can really fly.

I didnt purchase mine, I am using the one that I got from solidworks world through my company... I need to verify this with my sales weasel but I think I remember it being around $400 US

Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

Scarecrow-

I highly recommend it! I purchased mine through E-bay also and would not go back. I am currently using the Spaceball 4000. I to was experiencing wrist strain and had developed tendonitis from a standard mouse. Over the past few months the strain and tendonitis has disappeared.

Another benefit was that once I stormed past the initial learning curve, I was able to really put it to use and increased my productivity. It helps so much when rotating parts and assemblies. I have the buttons mapped so I rarely use my keyboard shortcuts.

Hope you enjoy!

I've been using this Spaceball 4000 FLX for 5 days.
I'm able to manipulate my model as I want - although a little clumsily.
I'll use it for another week, before I send it back to my VAR - it's borrowed.
At this point I can say - sure, it'll spin and pan that model like nobody's business.
But I can't honestly say that it'll do it faster than my IntelliMouse.
Yes, I'm getting better with it, but even considering the learning curve, I don't think this will ever reach a point where I'm faster with the SpaceBall.
I'm trying to be fair - because I am a gadget guy and I'd love to be able to justify the $$$ of one of these.
Maybe I'll get a older model anyway, just for the fun of it.
[conehead]

Well folks,
I purchased a used spaceball 3003 from ebay ($82), and it works fine. I have been using it for about 5 days, and here are my thoughts:
I find it easier and more natural to use the big rubber ball to rotate and pan my model than the mouse. The first few days were pretty scary, but once you configure the beast correctly it's great.

My only reason for purchasing this device was to reduce wrist strain and work load on my right arm. I am begining to notice a reduction in wrist and tendon pain. Hopefully this will continue to improve as time moves on.

I plan on upgrading to a newer model when the budget allow's it, but for $82 how can you go wrong?

Thanks for all the input from you.

Next report in 3 months.

Gerry Bolda

Question for y'all pro-SpaceBallers:
What mouse were you using before and how did you have it configured?

Mine - for example - is a Microsoft Intellemouse Explorer (optical & wireless).
I have the small thumb button (STB) set-up for SPACEBAR (View Orientation) and the large thumb button (LTB) for CNTL. And I ZOOM with the WHEEL and PAN with LTB/WHEEL.
The only downside is sometimes I have to roll the wheel a few times to get the ZOOM I need. Still, this is pretty doggone fast.

What were you doing before that makes the SpaceBall so much faster by comparison?
I just don't see it... yet.
[conehead]

I am considering picking up the spaceball 3003. Does this require any special software or other hardware? The ones I've seen on e-bay don't mention it but in product reviews I have read about spaceware software that is used to program the buttons. Whats up?

Chancey,
Yes you will need drivers. If you are talking SldWks they can be had here:
The 2 driver files will be all you need. Everything is pretty straight forward for setting it up. If you have any direct questions post here or email me direct if you get one I will help you with any questions if I can. There are some 2003's selling now from "connectcomp" and some 3003's if I remember right(looked yesterday). I got both the 2003's that I have from connectcomp and would recomend them, both the 2003's for more buttons than a 3003 and connectcomp for not selling me junk, and shipping per my requirements. Item was in the mail quickly. I would buy from this outfit again. You want to make sure you are getting a power cable setup with it as well. If not I will say that 3Dconnexion sent me one for free on request. For a model that someone bought at a local auction(not ebay). The hook-up on most 2003's and 3003's is serial I am pretty sure. So you will need a working and open serial port.

Regards,

Sean F
seanf@newing-halll.com
1 2 many l's in email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back