Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

space ball 3d controller? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2001
CA
Does anyone use such a device? They are selling regularly on ebay for less than $100. Retail is over $500. So either they are complete garbage or they are just overpriced.

I am looking to reduce some wrist strain, and this seems to be a good device for that.

Thanks

Gerry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi to all... I have not read all the inputs but can offer mine as I have been using a Space Mouse Plus for several months now. I was motivated to consider it due to serious strain issues on my right wrist from all day SW driving. I wanted to spread out the load. My SW VAR gave me a good deal on one so I sprang for it. (I am self employed so what ever I spend at work does not make it home.)

I am now so dependent on my Space Mouse that I find it almost unbearable to work with only a mouse at home. Any one who uses SW for more than a few hours a day is doing them selves a grave disservice by not employing this wonderful device. Yes, it has reduced the burden on my right hand (and I have since added a Logitech cordless Trackman (trackball)), but more importantly the Space Mouse provides an enormous boost in productivity. You won't believe how natural and cool it is to manipulate your models with mere pressures of your left hand while doing picking and commanding with your right. There are nine buttons arrayed around the puck that you can program very simply with included software to do just about anything. I have added a "ctrl" key, zoom to fit, mates, etc. to my buttons. The "sub part toggle" when in assemblies saves tons of right wrist steps all by it self.

The unit is extremely well made... very solid. The Plus is USB and sets up with no trouble. Most of the units on eBay are the older units that are serial devices. I can't comment on them but the ergos are a bit different and I had heard from a former user that there were occassional hardware issues.

In summary... I completely recommend it with out reservation... it is a must have. I am a second for my home machine as soon as my hardware budget builds up a little. Put it on your credit card and don't look back.

Sean F,
One of my associates gave me his SpaceBall 4000 FLX without the drivers. He lost them. I down loaded the drivers from I have installed 3DxWare_v3-1-11_win32.exe and 3DxSolidWorks_v2-2-6_win32.exe. 3Dcontrol add-in does show up in the SolidWorks Add-Ins. When I start SolidWorks, it tells me the
“SpaceMouse/SpaceBall driver not found. Please start the SpaceMouse/SpaceBall driver now. You do not have to shutdown SolidWorks”.
Do you have any reason this does not work?
Bradley

Bradley,
I would start by checking the taskbar for a "cube icon". If the driver is running you should have such icon. If you didn't select "start driver with winblows" when you installed the driver, then you will have to make sure you start it yourself / or put the startup command for the driver in your startup folder. Now, if you don't see the driver icon:
[START]->[PROGRAMS]->[3DConnexion]->[3DXware]->[Start Driver]
That will start the driver. Now with that said, if you then get a message that "Device such&such can not be found" that is a hole different can of worms. However, hardware problems aside, that should get it going.

Regards,

Sean F

Sean,
Looks like it might be hardware. Now I get the message “No 3D Motion Controller Could be Detected”. I did check to see if it is plugged in, and yes it is. The controller did work on the last guy’s computer very well. Do you have any more ideas?
Bradley

Hi Brad,
i get this error as well. After a number of different tries i find the best sequence is this:
start your pc
load the software program you will be using for the day, in my case solidworks. It will say no driver loaded. Ignore it and open any part. Now go to the windows start menu and open the connexions tab and start the driver. Nine times out of Ten it will load fine. If if try to load the bugger before solidworks i get no device found everytime. A weird windows thing.
I am using win 2000 with S/W 2003.
Let us know if this works for you?

Gerry Bolda

My suggestion is start looking at any modems you have. I had to disable the modem in this box I use @ work. Modems seem to conflict with the driver. I am sure it's probably a "serial thing". At any rate disable any modems you have in the device manager. Then reboot. Then attempt to start the driver. If you can then get it going you at least know who to blame "per-se". However, for some living w/o a modem can be a pain. TGFBB (thank god for broad band). On a lighter note. If disabling the modem works, you should then be able to assign hardware related to the modem in such a way that the two can live in peace.

Let me know how it goes. If it worked on "box X" and it don't work on yours. My first bet is a modem. Now that the driver is running. Also, I concurr with the above post in that starting the driver w/winblows is not the way to go. I just start it when I need it. If winblows is going to flake-out. It will usually be on boot IMHO. So the less that happens on boot the better.

Regards,

Hope this helps.

Sean F

Gerry Bolda,
I removed 3dconnexions from my boot. Rebooted a couple of times to no avail. I started SolidWorks, opened a part, then started the driver. Still get the same error. “No 3D Motion Controller Could be Detected”.
Sean F,
I checked for modem connections and have none. We are on broadband. Bradley

Bradley,
Ok, make sure the box does not have an onboard modem. If it does disable it in the BIOS. Also, check bios setting to confirm that the com/serial port you are using is enabled, and set up correctly. Then make sure the com's are set up properly in windows. Now, with that said. Do you have the external power supply for this unit? The way that it was explained to me is that, some serial ports run a bit more power than others. If the box the unit in question came from had a stronger com port then that could be a reason for the unit not being detected on the new box. The power supply for one of these should jump into the com lead for the spaceball. The 2003's that I have will not run w/o an external power supply on any of the computers I have. If you do not have the power supply, I would call 3Dconnexion tech. They sent me a power supply for a serial model for free. I would assume if you were nice they would do the same for you.
Really, if it worked on the other computer, and it never got "dropped" when it was moved from one to the other, then outside of a com port conflict or power supply issue there is no reason it should not work. I really suspect a com port issue before power supply on the newer unit you have. Make sure there is nothing else in the system using the com port. If you had some serial device installed and removed it w/o uninstalling the drivers for it then possibly that is what is causing the conflict. The drivers for that "other" device may still be mucking up the com port for the spaceball. The 4000FLX model is hella newer than mine so they may not require the external power supply. I don't really know. If possible, I would call this guy:
Contact for Technical Support:
Ken Denton
Tel: (888) 247-9545
Fax: (248) 331-1399
Email: ken_denton@3dconnexion.com
He was a big help to me. As well as the person that saw to it that I got a free power supply to see if that would get the unit working. I was very impressed by the level of service that I received from him.

Hope this helps,

Sean F
seanf@newing-halll.com
1 2 many l's in email

OK - I'm sold. Not because I think my efficiency/productivity will increase, but because this thing is so darned cool.
To recap: I've borrowed a Spaceball 4000 FLX from my VAR. I'm not going to buy this - too much $$$ - but I think I'll get an older model off ebay.
My questions:
Aside from the buttons or lack thereof, are there any other differences between the 3003 & 2003 models? I'm thinking the 2003 has a bigger footprint.
Are the drivers equally available for SolidWorks 2003?
Is there a chance that the 2003 will become obsolete before the 3003 - in terms of drivers for future SolidWorks versions?

I wonder if I could mod one of these things - maybe a glowing ball or light saber sound effects.
[conehead]
Consume mass quantities...
tatejATusfilter.com

TateJ,
2003 vs. 3003, well neither has enough buttons for me so I coded my own popup box for SldWks that is "doc sensitve" that I use to provide endless buttons and functions.
Drivers, same for all spaceball models. Regardless. To the best of my understanding the 2003 will be supported as long as the 3003 is. Same drivers for all models. The driver "detects" the model you have. It then configures the driver for that model. Both models work the same. Minus the number of buttons. The "way" they work is exactly the same.
As far as the footprint, you are correct. 2003 is bigger. However, I like it as that makes the unit VERY stable on the desk.
Modding, the 3Dconnexion SDK is a free d/l from the 3Dconnexion site. As far as "glowball" and sound effects goes, good luck :) However, the sound effects I would bet are possible via the Connexion SDK.

Glad you like the spaceball. You would have to "pry mine from my cold dead hand" :)

Regards,

Sean F
seanf@newing-halll.com
1 2 many l's in email

I have worked with the Space mouse and I love it, too.
(what surprise)

Now I have no money to buy my own 3D imput device.

Is there any alternativ, cheeper way?
Can I use my Joystick with some special driver to rotate or pan/zoon in SW or some other CAD application?

Regards,
Christoph

MrVirus,
I would look to eBay for a spaceball. That is about as cheap as you are going to get one. I got both of my 2003's for 30 each. I don't know if you can get the devices you mention to work as a spaceball does.

Again, I would try eBay.

Regards,

SeanF

New question:
Now that I have this Spaceball...
Quite often - while working in a drawing - I have the drawing view active (I mean the handles are showing).
Then when I want to pan or zoon, I end up dragging my view all over hell & half of Texas.
Is there a way to completely lock a view - or de-activate the handles?
Or a way - with the SpaceBall drivers - to stop this?
It's very annoying - I must say.
[conehead]
Consume mass quantities...
tatejATusfilter.com

TateJ,

Of course you can turn it off :)
Procedure as follows:

Start SldWks
Select 3DControl from the pull down menu
Select Properties
Select the options tab
Confirm that checkbox "Move on Select"(Under drawing views) is NOT CHECKED!
(right hand side, middle of dialog box)

Regards,
Sean F
Mechanical Engineer
seanf@newing-halll.com
1 2 many l's in e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back