Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spaceball or spacemouse, any experiences??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiasimo

Marine/Ocean
Mar 27, 2004
ES
Hi all i'm thinking in getting a spacemouse or spaceball, can u give me your opinion and experiences thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't like them. I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts so I like to have my left hand on the keyboard. I can manipulate the geometry just as quickly with a three-button mouse (and the shift key).

I use the Spaceball all the time and love it.

You will probably get some wrist pain after a while of using only a 3 button mouse for extended periods. The rotation using a three button mouse is especially hard on the wrist.

If you're working a lot of overtime you should consider using the spaceball.

Hi there.

I'm a Spacemouse plus user and I think it is great. The buttons could be better placed though(I use about 4-5 of them regulary).
The buttons seems to be more ergonomically placed on the Spaceball, but I have never tried one myself.
I would recommend you try out one of these devices.
Excpect a couple of days getting used to the device, and adjusting the sensitivity settings to your taste.

-Bjod

Hi, I worked with SpaceMouse Plus with V4 for 3 years. Now I'm working with V5 at home with a simple 3 button mouse. I cry for the spacemouse. I loved the smooth model handling, rotating and zooming. It has an excellent sensitiveness. I hate to rotate with the simple mouse, i feel my fingers after several work hours.
I tryed the space ball as well but it was so disappointing knowing the spacemouse's capabilities.
I can recommend highly and only the SpaceMouse Plus! It's not a cheap stuff but it worth on longer time.
I'll buy one soon I'm sure. A can't work effectively without it.

The space mouse I used on V4 was great, and there are definitely times I miss it, however like configurator I now find with V5 that teh key board usage has increased from 4. I have gone instead down the route of a microsoft optical trackball, which I find great, it also has an extra 2 buttons which can be configured to do other functions, although they are fiddley to use.

Worth a try if you are looking for a change.

A quick correction to my last post.

I use a SpaceMouse too, not a Spaceball. One nice feature of it is the ablity to add macros. I've added the macro for the Enter key to allow me to quickly select the default in menues.

DBeat

After those comments I'm definetly ggoing for the spacemouse! looking around seems to be usufel and also fun!!

Thanx all

You might also want to check the spaceball 5000
I am using a spaceball 4000 right now and I love it
Using it for UGNX2 and Catia V5.

I have programmed the other buttons for the shortcuts.
The 5000 could also be used on MS OFFICE

Hi All,

I have been a longtime user of Spaceballs from 2000 series upto 5000 and would never go away from it as it, especially in UG NX. Although imagine it should work equally as well on Catia V5 I have heard of friends having difficulty with using a 4000 serial version??? However I think that since it is a serial version plugged into a laptop with a serial/USB converter to accomodate the fact that there are no serial ports on most late model laptops might be the problem.

I do know that it works with their Pro/E software so that sort of rules out the serial/USB convertor issues.

It tend to make me think it can be more 'twitchy' running under Catia V5 than other programs, any thoughts??

I would have thought that if you have a Spaceball and it works with any other software that it would work equally as well with Catia V5. I have heard all the usual advice like given to people like check you have the latest Spaceball drivers etc which they have and still nothing works in V5, apparently that where ever they make the selection for the choice of device is greyed out which would lead me think that V5 is a little 'twitchy' about devices like spaceballs.

Maybe a Spacemouse is an alternative although if one doesnot work I wonder if that would make any difference though?

I am sure it is a 'simple' thing although I could not offer any suggestions, anyone have any ideas?

TIA for all suggestion

Best Regards

Dave

I've not had any problems with my Serial Magellan+

I have a Port Replicator, so it remains plugged into the Serial Port on that, and I don't have to worry about the laptop not having a Serial Port.

What is that of a port replicator? can u use it a serial Spacemouse in a laptop with no serial port??

I have been using my spacemouse since a few moths already, an actually is a very good investment!!! it is nice and smooth, provided you have a good graphic device

A port replicator is sort of a smaller, reduced Docking Station. It allows me to use a real montor (20" LCD), a real keyboard, and a real mouse. All are left plugged into the Port Replicator, and all I have to do is snap in the laptop and push the power button.

They also make USB versions of the Magellan. For Mobile Users there is a product called the Space Traveler which is a smaller version of the Magellan. For Power Users, there is a new product called the Space Pilot. It looks pretty cool. I can't wait to try one.

For those who haven't tried one of these devices yet, they are well worth the money. Tell your boss that if it only saves you 5 minutes a day, it will pay for itself in increased productivity within 2 weeks.

I´m a spaceball user and would never change it for a spacemouse, get a much better feeling and hand support with it.

But I´m not so happy with the motion feeling in V5, I´ve tried to tune and tweak it to get more feeling without luck. I´m a UG and Pro/E user and want that fantastic motion feeling as they have in V5.

Has anyboy experienced this or has a solution???

Azrael,

Im in the same boat as you. I also perfer the way feal of UG.

One thing that I found that helps on the Catia V5 side is to set the center of rotation (middle mouse button) in the area that you are working in.

Jeremy

Hi,

Like configurator said, I like to use shortcuts and a usual three buttons mouse. But if I have to choose between a spaceball or a spacemouse, I would choose a spacemouse.

Regards
Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back