Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spaceball survey question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
I changed the orientation on mine so that up/down = zoom in/out. I found the default orientation (push/pull = in/out) to be awkward from day one. I met another long-time user at a trade show & she did the same thing for the same reason.

So... Which orientation are you using?

Windows 2000 Professional / Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2006 SP02.0 / SpaceBall 4000 FLX
Diet Coke with Lime / Dark Chocolate
Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work with a guy who changed his settings the way you're talking about, but I use the defaults. The mouse when I first used it was difficult to get used to because motion on a horizontal plane mapped to movement on a vertical plane. With the spaceball defaults, there is no translation, so I think it makes more sense than the mouse.

YANCEMAN...

I just checked - by holding my SpaceBall bottom flat to the left side of my monitor. I must disagree with you. It works perfectly.

I suppose all would be right - if I embedded my monitor flat to my desktop (not the Windows Desktop... the one mt Diet Coke with Lime sits on.) But then where would I put my legs?

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

lol...it's all good as long as it works well for you. The difficult thing is adapting to the Spaceball like it is second nature, and then work at a workstation that has no Spaceball. It is like having one hand tied behind your back. I teach SolidWorks Level 1 and 2 at a local college and they have no Spaceball, so twice a week I have to mentally shift from having to not having this tool.

Yanceman.

Same for me... but usually I take mine to class. I offer to ley my students try it out during lab time... Only a few will sep-up. It's funny to watch them "ham" it around.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back