Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SpaceNavigator crashes? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theophilus

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2002
US
I finally caved and purchased one of these 3D space widgets. Nice. Except for the two system crashes in as many hours of use (total crash with no warning, Windows restarted). Not cool, and not worth using at all if this continues without a fix. I'm quite quick and competent with keyboard navigation, so this won't work at all--besides, it cannot possibly pay for lost time at this rate.

So--after doing a quick search, I've not seen anyone else post about this specifically. So I'm wondering if I found something unusual. The Windows error page relates to a device driver:
Go figure--I think that would be the only new device driver on the system--which was the downloaded update version for the SpaceNavigator.

Although tech support at 3DConnexion is supposedly open until "8:00 PM", that doesn't appear to be AZ time.

Any ideas, or is it time to chuck this thing in the pool? (Or back to Amazon?)

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, just figured it out after ten minutes of customer support by Dave.

I tried dragging options to set my right button, but that didn't work. It turns out the options need to be double-clicked to expose the real options below (should display a plus sign or something next to the listed items so the users can see some form of feedback--like "this is only a header item, not a drag-able item"). Anyway, after doing this, it works fine.

Are you guys seeing the same thing, or is this part of the new driver? How did you figure out the double-click thing? Not intuitive?

Jeff Mowry

You're right... it ain't terribly intuitive. I don't remember how I "figured it out"...

I must be some sort of "rainman"...
I'm an excelent drafter... yea... AutoCAD sucks.

Windows XP / Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2 / SpaceBall 5000
Lava Lamp
"Right-click... It's friggin' magic!" ... Jack L. Tate

FAQ376

And when you're happy with your button assignments, export them to a .3DxSW file, as it's very frustrating when you click 'Default' by mistake and overwrite all your settings.

Hey, good point, Simon205--of course, I have only two buttons on this thing, so it wouldn't be quite the catastrophe as one of the other models.

By the way, I used the beast all day yesterday with no crashes? Perhaps the reinstall Friday did the trick?

Jeff Mowry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back