Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speaker perforations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MehdiZerrad

Automotive
Apr 25, 2014
FR
Hello everybody,

Is there someone who has a physical explanation about the impact of the perforations in the speakers plate, on the sound pression field ??
What is te correlation between the density of perforations and wave lenght ?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, that's called a speaker grill. I'm afraid I have no experience of measuring or calculating the effect of these. gut feel is that it would affect high frequencies, particularly where wavelength is approximately the same as the grill apertures, say 3 mm, say 100000 Hz.

However they also act as mini Helmholtz resonators, and there is also the possibility of mass loading coupling between the air and the grill. It's a complex subject.

Here's some measurements, I'm not going to lose any sleep over 1 dB

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I'm guessing its just protection, but as they seem to be able to come off easily, I suggest listening or measuring a sample (pink noise?) with and without them.

Thank you rob768 for your answer.

Actually it's clear that people use this grille for the protection of the loudspeaker, but what i want to understand is the impact of this feature on the sound pressure level, among large band frequencies.
Otherwise, i'm planning to pick up some measures in order to clarify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back