Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPEC BREAK VALVES 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anand25111987

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2014
SA
Dear all,

Can anybody enlighten me on "what is a spec break valve" Can this be an alternative to ESDV ball valve.

We are working on a greenfield project for Upstream Gas Well project with an EPC contractor. In phase 1 of the gas well project we supplied ESDV BALL VALVES to a different EPC contractor.Phase 2 of this project is being executed by a different EPC contractor and understand from them according to their design and technology they have replaced ESDV valves to a spec break valves.

Can anyone in Industry help me with more details.

Thanks and Regards,

Anand

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Specification break" in piping systems refers to the point of transition from high to low pressure, or between high and low temperature service (sometimes), or between corrosive and non-corrosive environments - a point of transition when different material class is used (that is where the name "spec break" comes from). This is usually a valve, but is not necessarily an ESD valve - it can be any type of valve, also manually actuated, depending on the actual configuration.

See attached file, developed and published years ago by a member of another engineering forum. This should clear your doubts.

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=35db8960-58f6-4b02-b274-381557290734&file=PIPING_SPECIFICATION_BREAKS.pdf
Dear Dejan,

Thanks for your response. Incidentally I also happened to download the same specification. Though I could understand the application aspect of spec break yet not able to visualize the kind of arrangement between such break points. In other words between a HP line and LP line what will be the kind of spec break valves provided.

Would appreciate if you can guide me to some OEM offering such valves so that I can understand better.

Thanks and Regards,

Anand

It is a valve like any other valve. For example, let's say there is a piping specification break from 300# to 150#, on the isolation valve (e.g. manual ball valve, for the sake of illustration) downstream of a control valve. The spec break valve in this case would be rated for 300# and the valve's downstream flange would be attached to 150# piping.

"Spec break valve" means only that piping specification changes on (after) the valve, it does not indicate any special valve type.

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

Dear Dejan,

Great !!! Thank you very much for your quick and kind response. Now I have a better understanding on this. We will get the process details and valve type from contractor to attend their requirement

Thanks and Regards,

Anand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back