Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Special Character Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodboa

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2003
US
Is it possible to change the Special Characters in the Dimension Prefix command? I don't use the characters that are there, but would like to use my own characters. It has to be some sort of font that the %IL points too, anyone know where these are kept? I don't mind if the character I am placing is different from the one pictured, just so it shows up on the .dft and a printed .pdf.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think the fonts are in the c:\Windows\Fonts folder, and probably its one of the Solid Edge ANSI or ISO Symbols file.
The only way to use your own would be to replace the appropriate font file with your own font file.
Howver, its not something I would recommend.

What characters do you need that are not there already?

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

We want to use a Star and a Diamond to denote a Major or Critical Characteristic. We had been using the Map Character font $ and ", which give a star and a diamond in windows. It also works in the text box and callout inside SE, but I need to figure out how to put it in as part of the dimension.

Just putting as the prefix of the dimension in the dimension call out isn't an option?

(Off topic, you really sure you want to be going the 'Critical Characteristic' route for dimensions?)

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Just putting "what" as a prefix of the dimension?

I think that is what I am trying to do (put a symbol in front or behind a dimension), I just can do it the way I want to in SolidEdge.

(Off topic, I don't set the policy, I'm just trying to figure how to comply, without making my job significantly harder than it needs to be.)

Please any alternate suggestion would be helpful. I have tried using the Character Map function, Changing the font, ASCII characters. It seems like it would be simple to modify the Font file and replace the symbols that are there with a different one. I just don't know where they point to (and I've never messed with .ttf files).

Thanks for your help.

Set the text for the dimension to 'symbol' font. (You could create a style for this maybe).

Alt+0168 will get the diamond.

It won't show up in the dimension dialog window, but shows up in the drawing.

See attached.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Not bad, but it messes with the entire font base. With the dimension font changed to symbols any additional text inside of the dimension is converted as well.

I discussed this with a tech from Seimens and apparently the Character Map was not 100% compatible in version ST2 and earlier. He was able to verify that ST3 did not have this issue and that an (ALT-4) got ? and (ALT-042) got * without modifying the rest of the font type.

I still think it must be possible to change the Special Characters buttons, but he would not entertain that idea and told me there was no work around available at this time.

I think you guys are smarter than some tech at Siemens, I'm still open for other ideas.

Attach a separate callout to the dimension, with the character and font you need.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back