Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Special Concrete shear wall design

Status
Not open for further replies.

shacked

Structural
Aug 6, 2007
US
It has been a long time since I have designed a concrete shear wall since the majority of my work is in light framed residential. Last time I did was in 2010 or 2011 and I know that there has been some major changes with the code with respect to slender concrete walls. Unfortunately, I have not kept up with the changes related to this.
Now I am working on a project and the scope of work has changed due to owner changes. These changes will require concrete shear walls and I am considering whether or not I should continue as the EOR.
I wanted to see what the code requirements are for these walls so after looking into the code as well as some initial calculations I am now looking for advice.
I use TEDDS for my software and they have a concrete SW module so I decided to see what the calculations would involve. Unfortunately after I input the design info, I get a message that says, the bresler reciprocal load method is not valid.

Do you think is would be possible to provide these calculations by hand? If so I would assume that SEAOC may have some design literature available? See pdf for plan and section of project.

Your thought are greatly appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bb906ec5-5d70-4d28-909b-3e13c6753599&file=GARAGE_PLAN.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SEAOC has some design examples that you could follow if you have access to them. The most recent from SEAOC would be the 2021 IBC SEAOC Structural/Seismic Design Manual, Vol. 3. Be aware that the ACI318-19 has some new provisions for special concrete shear wall designs that differ quite a bit from the previous versions. Make sure to read through the design and detailing requirements.

If it has been 13 years since your last foray into concrete, I would say definitely find a design example to follow from the current code to help you avoid the common mistakes.

Best of luck!

"Let me help you by not helping you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back