Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Special hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marath007

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2017
CA
In a work project we need a nut size M13, that can resist corrosion in harsh weather and light electric current.

I also need that nut to be weldable with galvanised steel.

So far a Silicon bronze nut would do, I found a provided in inch size which was fine at first but now the client request for metric size fasteners.

So i either need a metric silicon-bronze cap nut provider or a different type of fasterner that has a sealed end, can be welded to steel and superb resistance to corrosion.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Since you are working with different metals (bronze, steel, zinc) you won't be able to weld them together. Maybe brazing or silver soldering. Of more concern to me is the galvanic corrosion issues with these metals. Steel and zinc are anodic relative to the bronze and would be subject to galvanic corrosion in the harsh weather conditions you mention. Is the electric current part of a system to reduce galvanic corrosion?

Regarding the nut itself, if you can't find one that suites your application, you can always machine one from bronze. Is there any reason you can't use some type of stainless steel? That would at least be closer on the galvanic chart. The zinc will still be an issue, however, but that's typically expected.

Kyle

Silica bronze is good and often used for electrical stuff... I would avoid welding the material. You might use a thread locker to prevent loosening.

Dik

The nut is inaccessible during the worklife, so I want to make sure it never fails. The bolt is in stainless steel and if that bolt fails then they put a new one. The mass/mass ratio is more than 1:100, 1 part stainless/silicon bronze to 100 part galvanised steel. So the galvanised steel will take forever to degrade from this.

The nut would be tig brazed to galvanised steel. A welder told me it was possible.

The electric current is due to being near a big 100's MVA transformer, the static and magnetic friction.

I would rather not have to machine one but it might be the end solution. The inch one was expensive already...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back